Legs seem paralyzed - two pullets now

@Wyorp Rock
Results from necropsy are in - Marek’s. I’m relieved knowing what it is, also stressed knowing what it is. Luckily no one else is sick at the moment, hopefully I can keep it controlled. Thank you so much for the support during all of this.View attachment 3557502
I'm sorry about the diagnosis. It doesn't make it any easier, but at least now you know what you are dealing with.

Just reading this now , but I have some similar symptoms in my year old barred rock hen. She started walking upright with tail down a couple months ago. I consider being egg bound and water belly but doesn't seem to be those. She was still laying well and actually turned broody a couple times. She is slow, will occasionally wing drop and doesn't seems to tolerate the heat well. She seems to pant and lift her wings to cool more than her flock mates. Fecal float ruled out parasites. Vet did not examine but thought maybe an injury. I would think if it was Mareks she would have died long ago as this has been at least two months and no others are affected. Maybe vitamin B deficiency?

🙏 and rip for your sweet girls!

Just reading this now , but I have some similar symptoms in my year old barred rock hen. She started walking upright with tail down a couple months ago. I consider being egg bound and water belly but doesn't seem to be those. She was still laying well and actually turned broody a couple times. She is slow, will occasionally wing drop and doesn't seems to tolerate the heat well. She seems to pant and lift her wings to cool more than her flock mates. Fecal float ruled out parasites. Vet did not examine but thought maybe an injury. I would think if it was Mareks she would have died long ago as this has been at least two months and no others are affected. Maybe vitamin B deficiency?

🙏 and rip for your sweet girls!
Thank you for your kind words. These things are so frustrating.

I saw atleast one of my sick girls hang on forever. I mean, they were both declining in function, but otherwise thriving before we euthanized them. It’s weird to think it was Marek’s, none of my other 30+ girls of all ages were affected (yet).

I’m not supplementing their diets except for fresh fruits/vegetables occasionally, with scratch occasionally. Some birds are more susceptible, I guess. None of my flocks were vaccinated, I knew the disease was most likely in the dirt here . I have a neighbor a couple miles away who lost 23 birds- but couldn’t afford testing , so never knew for sure what it was, but I’m guessing Marek’s.

My choice to put them down was due to the fact they couldn’t get around by themselves, and their weight was declining, despite their appetite. Watching them lay in the same place, in feces was heartbreaking, I tried everything I could, but there were other plans made for these girls.

Back
Top Bottom