Lemon Blue and Self Blue

These aren't cochins, but you can see the differences in coloring.

Self blue duccle
IMG_4936.jpg

Blue andalusian
AndalusianHen.JPEG

Lemon blue moderns
ModernBtyCryar.JPEG
LemBlModP.JPEG

Last edited:
Quote:
My buffs weren't separated from the blue/black/splash acouple times when I gathered eggs and I was setting a hatch from a BYC member and just threw in acouple of my henhouse eggs...she hatched out...lol so she is from a Blue rooster/Buff Orp mating...I named her Robin..she really reminds me of a robin with lacing!!...

Quote:
I'm not seeing a picture with that post. I wanted to comment because this is a bit ambigious and LilPeeps was correct.

The blue as in blues and lemon blues are the SAME blue. As for the term "self blue" this should refer to the other blue gene which is recessive.. it is also called Lavender.

Unfortunately, some folks also use "self blue" to describe a solid blue chicken out of the blue/splash/black mating.. creating confusion. The basic difference in appearence is that self blue/lavenders have a very even shade of blue throughout the bird, while blue chickens tend to show a lot of contrasting shades, especially on blue roosters- hackles and saddles much darker than on the body shade(on lavenders the hackles and saddles are exactly the same or very nearly so to the body shade_

A blue is simply a solid black chicken with the blue gene. A lemon blue is a blue on a birchen chicken. Same blue gene on different backgrounds is all. The lemon modern games pictured above in this thread are showing the proper color pattern for a lemon blue. A mating of lemon blues should be giving only birchens(aka brown reds), lemon blues and splashed lemon blue- no buffs or blue buffs.

If there are Dark Brown(aka brown red.. yes I am tired of multiple names for a specific pattern) or Birchen cochins, then getting lemon blue patterning can be relatively straightforward.. by crossing a blue with a dark brown and keep the offspring that show color in the hackles and saddles plus the blue coloring and go on from there. It will be harder if the Birchens have white lacing, as these are silver which turns brown to white.. if the blues are also silver based, then no lemons can happen out of this, just Blue Birchens- same as Lemon Blues but with white hackles and saddles.

e50c_1.jpg

Those birds(and tuff's) are not lemon blues as those don't show the birchen pattern(birchens and therefore lemon blues do not have solid brown breasts). Those are pretty but they need to be called something else to avoid confusion with the "true" lemon blue pattern.

Last edited:
I don't know what her color should be called then but still going to trying a generation or two or three...she has nice orange lacing from her chest to shoulders....

I may invent a new blue/orange orp
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom