Lemon cuckoo Orpington questions

Chickens143

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 18, 2012
New jersey
Hi, I bought 12 lemon cuckoo hatching eggs from a guy on eBay who got his flock from green firearms hatching eggs. He sayed in the description that there are lemon cuckoos with barring gene and with double barring gene. Meaning that the pictures that we usually see are lemon cuckoos with the double barring gene, hence causing the stripes.(first question- is it true that your chicken needs to have a double barring gene for it to show on the feathers?)
He sayed that over a large number of eggs, you should get 50% hens, 25% roosters without barring gene (no stripes) and 25% roosters with the double barring gene (stripes). He also sayed if I breed my double barred rooster with any of the hens, 100% of the offspring will be double barred lemon cuckoos (roosters &hens). (question 2- that means that the hens are lemon cuckoos even though they don't have stripes right?)
If you have a double barred rooster and breed it with a buff hen, all of the chicks won't be double barred right?
So the big question is, do lemon cuckoo orpingtons come in non barred? Like no stripes.
Thanks
:)

You need a double barred rooster to get all barred offspring. If he's single factor, then only a small percentage of the chicks can possibly be cuckoo. There is really no such thing as "split to cuckoo".

You seem to have some great information on Marens. I know that the Lemons don't generally have good egg color. How does one go about changing that?

Im not sure I understand the last two posts. I would be happy to try to help if you can clarify what you would like to know.

Texaslady, i don't think there are lemon cuckoo marans, so maybe this was posted on the wrong thread.

What i mean is, id iw ere to show or sell the girls.(with no barreding)
What do i put the variaty as. Lemon cuckoo? Buff orpington?
The girls are lookig very fine with there big fluffy butts,
So i wanted to show them, but idk what variaty.

Back
Top Bottom