Lemon cuckoo Orpington questions

Head etc color is due to sex linked gold and silver alleles.

Domi are silver and orpi are gold- this is a sex linked cross producing males that are silver (white) and females that are red/buff/lemon. It has been my experience that black/barred birds are silver- I agree with Jeffrey on this finding therefore domi is silver. Domi could be gold but I am going with the highest probability.

Crossing the two birds produces an extended black/wheaten heterozygote. This genotype will produce incomplete dominance- and in the correct genotype; males and females that leak non-black color on the anterior of the bird. Greatest in hackles. Also any melanizer found in the domi would also be heterozygous in the offspring which will lead to more non-black expressing on the anterior of the offspring.

The orpi carries a gene called dark brown that will suppress black plumage on the anterior portion of a bird; therefore the non-black head, hackles and breast. The amount of black removed depends on the genetics of the barred birds. The offspring could have a little or a lot of the black removed from their anterior end.

Tim

Thanks Tim very helpful.I am writing it all down for the future.One more question related. On BBS Orps .... the brown supressor on black would that cause the blue orp?

Blue orps are actually a black bird under the blue. The blue gene will dilute the black to a blue color. Blue orpingtons do not have the dark brown gene in them. If they did, they would have red or white on their anterior( head) end.

Tim

Blue orps are actually a black bird under the blue. The blue gene will dilute the black to a blue color. Blue orpingtons do not have the dark brown gene in them. If they did, they would have red or white on their anterior( head) end.

Tim
Thanks for the clarification. SO interesting!

I bought some LCO chicks this year from Green Fire Farms. I only ended up with 3 Hens, 1 Barred and 2 Non-Barred and 5 Cockerels 2 of the Cockerels (Double Barred) look exceptional in the comb, tail and body type (Keepers). I also raise Blue, Black and Splash Orpingtons. I was thinking of putting the Best of the Double Barred Roosters with the 3 LOC hens and using the other Double Barred Rooster with some Blue and Black Orpington hens. I have read a lot on the Double Barring gene and still have some questions on just what the Double Barred Rooster might produce with the Blue & Black hens and just where I might be able to go with this mix.

I know that the Barring gene is also sex linked. Would this produce a sex link in the offspring? Also will I produce any Barred Blacks and or Lemon Blue with this mating?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Most likely if you breed your lemon cuckoo roosters with blue/ black it will produce barred offspring:)
I got some htching eggs from greenfire farms, and i got more hens than roosters:) 2 roosters and like 8 hens. None of my hends are barred but if i breed them with my rooster, then i will get all barred offspring:)

Most likely if you breed your lemon cuckoo roosters with blue/ black it will produce barred offspring:)
I got some htching eggs from greenfire farms, and i got more hens than roosters:) 2 roosters and like 8 hens. None of my hends are barred but if i breed them with my rooster, then i will get all barred offspring:)
Only if your Rooster is Double Barred. If he is Single barred only 1/2 of the offspring will have a barring gene. I have a couple of Roosters that are Double barred so I'm sure the offspring from the Blue and Black Orpington hens will have a single barring gene I'm just not sure what they will look like for color! I'm not sure if this breeding would lead to a "Lemon Blue" as you see in the Cochins????

Back
Top Bottom