Lemon cuckoo Roo x Lavender Hen

texpainthorse

Chirping
5 Years
May 20, 2014
87F3B400-4FEE-4C8D-B088-1E9DB2B0147A.jpeg
I crossed a Lemon Cuckoo Roo with a Lavender Hen and got this cute little pouty face!

He is beautiful! I have a Lavender Ameraucana roo and just hatched some chicks crossed with a barred rock, a partridge rock and a Black Copper Marans, can't wait to see how they turn out!!! Thank you for sharing and I look forward to more pix as he fills out!!!

He is beautiful! I have a Lavender Ameraucana roo and just hatched some chicks crossed with a barred rock, a partridge rock and a Black Copper Marans, can't wait to see how they turn out!!! Thank you for sharing and I look forward to more pix as he fills out!!!
The ones crossed with your barred rock will be sex linked. The males will be barred and the females not, since you have a solid colored rooster over a barred hen.

Thank you Frazzemrat! I'm so confused by the coloration genetics. I've tried researching, I kind of understand recessive genes and having to have two copies...but how it applies when crossing with something else? I was getting lost! So, yes, thank you!

Thank you Frazzemrat! I'm so confused by the coloration genetics. I've tried researching, I kind of understand recessive genes and having to have two copies...but how it applies when crossing with something else? I was getting lost! So, yes, thank you!

My understanding is that if you put a solid rooster (of any color) over a barred hen you get barred males and solid females. When you breed a barred rooster to a barred female the barring gene goes to each of the chicks, with the males receiving two and the females receiving one. When you put the solid male over the barred female, she can only pass her barring gene to her male offspring.

My understanding is that if you put a solid rooster (of any color) over a barred hen you get barred males and solid females. When you breed a barred rooster to a barred female the barring gene goes to each of the chicks, with the males receiving two and the females receiving one. When you put the solid male over the barred female, she can only pass her barring gene to her male offspring.
I'll run out and get a couple of pics to show what happened here this year. I bred my Solid Chocolate Orpington Rooster to my Chocolate Cuckoo hens to get a couple of Cuckoo Roosters. In 2 separate hatches, I got a cuckoo hen! I don't have a cuckoo rooster so this is a fluke! One of the hens was hatched completely naked like a regular bird. She has a crooked foot and I probably should have let her pass away. She will just be a pet. The other one is perfect in every way. I meant to ask about this before. The solid Chocolate Rooster came from a long line of Solid Chocolates, he isn't split. Going out to get pics to attach.

Back
Top Bottom