Lemon Porcelain as a color, what is the genetic makeup for this?

They are the symbols used for three genes that dilute red pigment, but not black.

Chicken plumage has only two types of pigment: red (pheomelanin) and black (eumelanin). All the various colours that you see are the result of genes that enhance or dilute those two pigments. Patterns are created by adding or removing pigment from specific areas: beit parts of the body or parts of an individual feather.

Di is dilute; Cb is champaign blonde; ig is inhibitor of gold. The reason that Di and Cb are capitalized is that they are dominant genes; one copy is sufficient for them to work; ig is recessive, meaning that the bird has to have two copies for the gene to have any effect.

A gene is actually a specific location on a chromosome. Only certain alleles (variations/mutations of that gene) can be present at that location. In some cases, such as the blue gene, there are only two choices: blue (Bl) or not-blue (bl). In other locations there are more choices: black has E, E^R, e^Wh, e+, e^b.

That's probably enough to confuse you with for now
smile.png

Quote:
Thank you so much! I am fascinated with all of this. I raised Appaloosa horses for years and know a bit about the principals involved there but had no clue as to how things worked in the poultry world. You have helped my understanding by leaps and bounds. Thanks!
hugs.gif

I am actually not that confused by it but can see where it would be easy to get confused very quickly
smile.png

Quote:
It is much more complex than equine genetics for certain! I too am fascinated with it. There are just so many complex combinations and the outcomes amaze me!

Back
Top Bottom