Lemon Pyle Brahma crossed with ? Now with chick pics

So, either way they would breed true? splash to splash= splash. Would crossing to a standard colored buff columbian tell us which one we are dealing with here, or would the dominate white give us the same results?

Last edited:
Sjisty, are the chicks all feathering in about the same color? The partridge male you used, was he one of the youngsters we were trying to determine if they were blue ? If I remember correctly they showed a lot of green sheen for a blue bird. If so, do you have a recent photo. Could the chick in the photo be a splash offspring of a blue partridge sire ?

Hi Big Medicine -

Yes, that's the Partridge roo I have. This is not the best picture, but here he is. If he isn't blue, he has it in his background, so maybe some offspring will be. Edited to add - I just noticed this is a picture I took of him modeling one of his girl's aprons! I'll get a better picture today.

31698_p1000955.jpg

Here are some more shots of the chicks. Two of them are a uniform creamy tan without the barring that you see on the picture of the oldest one. The others have dark wing feathers starting. I have a couple more that hatched earlier this week and three more hatching as we speak.

31698_p1010087.jpg
31698_p1010085.jpg
31698_p1010091.jpg
31698_p1010088.jpg
31698_p1010084.jpg

Again, here's Peanut with the barring showing on his wings. He/she is the only one showing this so far.
31698_p1010073.jpg

Last edited:
If a bird has the blue gene it shows It's not like, say recessive white, that a bird may carry but does not show. But when mated with another bird carrying recessive white, can produce white chicks. Having said that, there are "modifiers" that can vary the darkness of the blue. I had a very dark blue laced red pullet that I first thought was black laced, obviously different than her penmates. Unfortunately she prolapsed and died.

One thing you will want to be aware of is vulture hocks. Looks like your male may be sporting some. Unfortunately this is a recessive trait, so even a clean looking hocked bird can be carrying it and pass it on to it's offspring. If we were in the rest of the world, that would be fine, but its not allowed in U.S. brahmas. It can be very difficult to breed out, it still pops up in my silver laced birds, thanks to their distant cochin heritage.

Back
Top Bottom