Leonard Coops?

Kglassmo

Songster
May 20, 2020
North Carolina, USA
Hi all, I’m researching coops, my current 3x7 coop of over 3 years, is not able to be refurbished any longer due to severe wood rot. I live in NC; I’m looking into Leonard buildings, as they have several different factory made coops. I’d need the 8x10’ model, i will later add a run. I have 9 chickens; looking to add more in spring. I’m pricing out cost if I buy an 8x8 shed and build my own roosts, nest boxes, hen doors, poop tray, verses just get the 8x10 pre made coop that includes a feed room which I also need. The base price is $1807, it’s costly and I know Covid is not helping cost of lumber/supplies so id love to know if anyone out there owns a Leonard coop and has any advice on this? I will also need to build my own run out of hardwire cloth. My current predators are grey foxes, raccoons, skunks, feral cats. Thanks for any advice!

:frow from the Sandhills.

Yes, please link the building in question.

However, unless you're up in the mountains you probably don't actually need a fully-enclosed coop. The Open Air style, which is essentially a roofed run with a 3-sided shelter at the windward end, is very well-suited to our steamy climate and is less expensive to construct. :)

This is my current build: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/another-reason-to-build-a-full-height-coop-run.1484191/

And the coop in Texas that inspired me: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/jens-hens-a-southern-texas-coop.75707/

Airflow is the key thing. :)

https://www.leonardusa.com/chicken-coops
This is the link to Leonard coops. Unfortunately there are not many photos of 8x10’ coop. Which is why I was hoping someone out there might own one. :) I have spoken with Leonard reps, got coop blueprints but still really doesn’t help me visualize exact layout. They’re coops are customizable- you can have metal or shingle roof, change color, and I think switch up where hen door is. I want full height human door. My neighbor owned Leonard 5x6’ traditional style (not barn shape), and it was well made except flaw where nestbox lid was not properly protected from weather, so it rotted within a year and she had to replace the nestbox lid after losing a couple chickens to predators. So, I was learning towards enclosed coop with nest boxes on inside. I am concerned about adequate ventilation. The coop I have now is mostly open air, shingle roof, enclosed entirely inside my run, but wood was not treated so it’s rotted beyond repairs. Thanks for any insight!

The main disadvantage of a Leonard coop is that it is prebuilt
and is trucked to your site. You must have access for the truck
and coop to place the coop where you want it. If any of your space
is tight, you've got problems. If that's your situation, you're better
off buying a storage building from HD. You can buy a 10x10 building
from HD, fully floored and shingled with windows constructed on
your site. You can add your own roost bars and nest boxes from TS. You can even add extra windows. If I had not had friends that were professional carpenters build my coop for me, this is the way I would have gone

Thank you for this info! I do have space for the prebuilt coop to be delivered. I will need to price out the difference in cost of shed/customizing it, vs. prebuilt coop. I would have loved to build my own coop, but lumber is scare and still way too expensive since Covid. I will be constructing my own run out of hardwire cloth and treated lumber.

It's a nice looking shed style building but might need more ventilation - I see the two windows listed but it only mentions one other vent across from that, which could be big or could be tiny. I'm guessing there's possibly a ridge vent in there (photos are tiny and hard to see) and maybe some undereave vents? Would be worth asking the company if either of those come standard with it.

If not, if you're able to add some ventilation yourself it may still be a good buy, depending on wood and labor costs in your area.

Thanks rosemarythyme- Great advice! I did call Leonard company in Winston, NC; apparently only metal roofs are available and they do not have ridge or gable vents. I’m planning on adding gables vents myself. I got a quote for adding extra windows so there’s going to be 4 total. Windows on 8x10 coop are standard shed size, I think 13x27” no large window vents. The 5x6 unit does come with large window vent across from 2 standard windows. If I go for it, there’s at least 8 wk lead time. I’ll be sure to take photos and post because no one seems to have decent pix of this coop! 😅

looks like well built unit. Just a matter of what options you want how much of it you want to do. 1,800 sounds like a pretty good deal.
Hi! So I actually did order 8x10’ custom coop from Leonard! I’ll attach pics soon, once delivered! On their blueprint, I added one extra window and moved chicken door. Also got ridge vent with a metal roof and they even offered paint colors to match our existing structures. Excited for my girls (and 1 roo) to get their new home before winter! 😄

Back
Top Bottom