Lesson learned

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Ragladysews, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Ragladysews

Ragladysews Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2011
    NW Georgia
    I have learned my lesson. I cannot mix scratch feed with regular laying feed. What a mess! They scattered all the feed to get to the sctatch feed. Feed is to expensive to have it wasted. They will eat some of it but not all. And if you have rain you get to shovel it up. A question I have though, I fed my chicks and roo some ground beef with black pepper would that give some of the chickens diarrhea?

2. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    If they aren't used to eating that kind of thing and they ate a pretty significant amount (more than a bite or two), then yes, it could give them a little digestive upset.

3. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Oh yeah, spilling the feed everywhere is definitely a problem for us! It's a lesson we all learn somewhere along the line. [​IMG]
    As for beef, I know our chooks will eat any sort of meat, no questions asked, even from a young age. [​IMG] I'm not sure about the pepper though, I've never tried before.

4. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    We feed our chickens table scraps - and since we like black pepper as a seasoning, they get black pepper, too. Chickens are opportunistic eaters - eating whatever is available - and they've existed quite well through the centuries eating much worse than beef with pepper. I don't think it'll cause anything worse than a little temporary upset.

5. CluckyJay

CluckyJay Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    I use really hot pepper oil I make as part of my deworming procedure. Doesn't cause problems in my chickens. This stuff is hot too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by