lessons learned — first time chicken keeping

Thanks to everyone who's posted here so far, this has been THE best post I've seen yet here on the realities of starting out and the dangers of Craigslist chickens. We too knew nothing about chickens in our enthusiasm to begin a flock when we got our first three off Craigslist - the worms, mites, lice, etc. that showed up later caused us to quickly get educated. The occasional sneeze still has me on edge sometimes that it's not over yet although the four chicks we've had running around with the originals seem healthy as horses and that's encouraging.

Sorry you're going through this poonam.

Last edited:
Quote:
Sneezing can be environmental sometimes, caused by pollen, smoke, dust, ammonia (in the coop,) lawn chemicals etc...
My Red Star got a feed crumble stuck way up in her nostril once, all she did was sneeze for about 4 days in quarantine. The granule worked its way up to just under her skin below her eye just to the rear of her beak. It was hard as a rock and I cut it open and removed it with tweezers. It had started to turn yellow, like it was starting to get infected. I put a little neosporin on it and it healed quickly, no more sneezing neither. One more day in the hospital cage just to be on the safe side, then I released her. No problems since. At first I thought it was a CRD, I maintain a closed flock, I thought maybe a wild bird brought it in somehow. It really had me sweating bullets!

Quote:
First of all,
hugs.gif
. I'm so sorry that you're going through this as a new chicken owner. I will tell you that it's always devistating and discouraging when something goes wrong with your chickens no matter how long you've been keeping them. It seems like just when you think you've got it all figured out... Bam! Something catches you off guard. We all just have to look at it as a learning experience and move on.

Whatever you read about disinfecting the coop and starting over can't possibly be true. Myco, which causes CRD, can only live outside of the host (the chickens) for 3 days. There are specifics for how long it can live on different materials and in different conditions which can be found here:http://upetd.up.ac.za/thesis/available/etd-02272006-105826/unrestricted/00dissertation.pdf under "Controlling Mycoplasma G. in Broiler Breeder Flocks".

You already know your options as far as dealing with this. I also want to warn you that even if you order new chicks from a reputable hatchery, you are not guaranteed myco-free chicks. I have corresponded with around 15 of the top hatcheries and I found 1 that tests for Myco. I have mixed feelings about the seriousness of myco in and of itself. It's the problems that follow that manifest themselves through the symptoms you are seeing. Your chickens may not have to be on antibiotics forever. Many respiratory problems don't show up until the chickens are stressed in some way. Many chickens that have been exposed to MS/MG are completely asymptomatic.

Nobody wants a sick flock, but *in my opinion*, if myco were that huge of a deal, testing would be required (especially for hatcheries) in order for birds to cross state lines. They (I guess the gov't) are doing nothing to erradicate/prevent the spread of myco.

Quote:
Sneezing can be environmental sometimes, caused by pollen, smoke, dust, ammonia (in the coop,) lawn chemicals etc...
My Red Star got a feed crumble stuck way up in her nostril once, all she did was sneeze for about 4 days in quarantine. The granule worked its way up to just under her skin below her eye just to the rear of her beak. It was hard as a rock and I cut it open and removed it with tweezers. It had started to turn yellow, like it was starting to get infected. I put a little neosporin on it and it healed quickly, no more sneezing neither. One more day in the hospital cage just to be on the safe side, then I released her. No problems since. At first I thought it was a CRD, I maintain a closed flock, I thought maybe a wild bird brought it in somehow. It really had me sweating bullets!

Yep - I believe Austin is the second worst in the nation (behind Louisville) for allergies, not to mention most of the backyard is pretty dusty, I can't imagine why a respiratory-sensitive chicken wouldn't be affected just like us. I'm also pretty sure I've seen the food stuck in the nose sneezes - if it wasn't for the possibility of something serious lurking in my head, it's a pretty funny sound.

Quote:
Whatever you read about disinfecting the coop and starting over can't possibly be true. Myco, which causes CRD, can only live outside of the host (the chickens) for 3 days. There are specifics for how long it can live on different materials and in different conditions which can be found here:http://upetd.up.ac.za/thesis/available/etd-02272006-105826/unrestricted/00dissertation.pdf under "Controlling Mycoplasma G. in Broiler Breeder Flocks".

Thanks for that info Buildingmyark, very good to know.

Poonam-Don't be discouraged. This is doable. I too bought my first 5 girls from a farm, that was as clean as you can expect with 175 chickens in a large coop! One developed a respiratory infection that spread. I did use antibiotics in the water and it quickly cleared up. I know you do not want to use antibiotics and I respect that. You just have to weigh the options carefully. They are all happy healthy egg layer with fun personalities. I'm glad I saved them. They seem to "know" what a good life they have now from where they came. Time is a good healer, mentally and physically. The body can heal itself. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom