Lester Jr & pullets out and about - Lavender project pics

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by hinkjc, Jun 15, 2009.

1. hinkjc

hinkjc Crowing

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Very pretty [​IMG]

3. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    beautimous! [​IMG]

4. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Songster

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    How Pretty they are!

I can't wait until mine get to looking like that!

5. sondra

sondra Songster

Apr 3, 2009
    Troy
    [​IMG] those are to die for, super super cute

6. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Such eye candy. Now when you say Lester Jr., is this the one taking Lester's place? Is he out of a black hen? Other than disposition, do you consider his type better than Lester? Are you culling lavender hens, or are you still going to breed all the stock you have and then start culling next generation?

Im so full of questions, arent I!

7. hinkjc

hinkjc Crowing

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Thanks everyone!

Halo - love your questions. lol He is one of several cockerels we kept to decide who is best to replace Lester (we'll probably select two). His color is better and I do believe he will be heavier than Lester based on his current size. His personality is much better so far. Yes, he is from a split black/lav hen. We are still culling and this is a just one of the groups. Once they're all grown out, we'll make some final selections on hens and roosters for next generation breeding. There is still much work to be done and I'll be introducing a new black line in next year as well to continue our work on conformation and to ensure genetic diversity as we continue our development towards lavender orps.

8. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Songster

Feb 1, 2009
    Lexington, KY
    Gorgeous birds!!! [​IMG]

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude

I think he's better looking than his daddy, Jody. As you said, his color is better and I like his head somewhat better, too.

10. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Jody, thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. This is such a fascinating project; Im sure everyone is so grateful that you have taken the time to share your journey, from the very first baby picture of Lester, to this fabulous group you have.

How fun is this??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: