Let’s Talk About Swedish Flower Hens

thecreekhouse

Songster
Feb 26, 2015
East Tennessee
I have the opportunity to acquire a Swedish Flower Hen pullet and I’m strongly leaning toward bringing her home. But before I do, I’d love to hear from any of you who already have one or more SFHs. What do you find their personalities to be like? What about egg production? What color are the eggs you’re getting and is it true that they lay extra large eggs? What do you like/dislike about the breed? Thanks for any feedback you can give me to help me make my decision :)

I have the opportunity to acquire a Swedish Flower Hen pullet and I’m strongly leaning toward bringing her home. But before I do, I’d love to hear from any of you who already have one or more SFHs. What do you find their personalities to be like? What about egg production? What color are the eggs you’re getting and is it true that they lay extra large eggs? What do you like/dislike about the breed? Thanks for any feedback you can give me to help me make my decision :)
I used to raise Swedish Flower Hens. I no longer have them because it is my opinion that the ones in the U.S. are too inbred.

Egg production was all over the place with some hens laying 4 to 5 eggs per week and others laying 1 to 2 eggs per month. The eggs varied from cream colored to a light tan. Egg sizes varied from large to extra large with at least one hen that laid jumbo size eggs.

The roosters were very protective of the flock and did very well at being an early warning system for the whole flock.

Cross breeding them with other breeds of chickens seemed to improve the cross breeds in both laying and other traits.

Last edited:
I love my Swedish Flowers! (I'd like to hear more from @R2elk about breeding. I had several losses at first molt and wondered if it was genetics.)

They are curious birds and generally friendly. Egg production was what I expected from dual purpose hens. I got cream colored standard size eggs regularly. I wouldn't say a jumbo egg but sometimes large size.
They are alert birds and would do well free ranging but take to confinement just fine. I love their range of colors and patterns.

I love my Swedish Flowers! (I'd like to hear more from @R2elk about breeding. I had several losses at first molt and wondered if it was genetics.)

They are curious birds and generally friendly. Egg production was what I expected from dual purpose hens. I got cream colored standard size eggs regularly. I wouldn't say a jumbo egg but sometimes large size.
They are alert birds and would do well free ranging but take to confinement just fine. I love their range of colors and patterns.
I bought hatching eggs from all over the country to get started. Unfortunately they were all descended from SFHs that came from Greenfire Farms.

I live at altitude which compounded the problems of hatching shipped eggs but the SFH shipped hatching eggs did worse than any other shipped hatching eggs that I set. I have had as high as 100% success on hatching other breeds from my local eggs but not from the Swedish Flower Hens. When mine started laying eggs, I would be lucky to get a 60% hatching rate from my own local eggs.

SFHs that I hatched and raised either laid eggs very well or very poorly. I have to believe that those which laid eggs only a couple of times a month has to have been due to being too closely related. The poor hatchability of the local eggs also is an indication of inbreeding.

I also had some losses at an early age from shipped hatching eggs so your guess that it might have been from genetics is very likely. These were losses that I do not experience from other breeds.

I agree they are a very nice bird to have around. They are much better flyers than other chickens. It is my opinion that the breed could use an infusion of new blood but do not have an idea other than Speckled Sussex as a good source of outside blood that will not detract from what the SFH currently are.

There is also the issue of vaulted skulls when breeding the crested ones together.

I bought hatching eggs from all over the country to get started. Unfortunately they were all descended from SFHs that came from Greenfire Farms.

I live at altitude which compounded the problems of hatching shipped eggs but the SFH shipped hatching eggs did worse than any other shipped hatching eggs that I set. I have had as high as 100% success on hatching other breeds from my local eggs but not from the Swedish Flower Hens. When mine started laying eggs, I would be lucky to get a 60% hatching rate from my own local eggs.

SFHs that I hatched and raised either laid eggs very well or very poorly. I have to believe that those which laid eggs only a couple of times a month has to have been due to being too closely related. The poor hatchability of the local eggs also is an indication of inbreeding.

I also had some losses at an early age from shipped hatching eggs so your guess that it might have been from genetics is very likely. These were losses that I do not experience from other breeds.

I agree they are a very nice bird to have around. They are much better flyers than other chickens. It is my opinion that the breed could use an infusion of new blood but do not have an idea other than Speckled Sussex as a good source of outside blood that will not detract from what the SFH currently are.

There is also the issue of vaulted skulls when breeding the crested ones together.
Thank You for sharing your experience. I will have to do some research about where to get possible new blood.

I have Swedish Flower Hens but have never shipped or sold eggs. I did breed a rooster I had with someone who had some very old Swedish Flower hens that had hatched from my hens way back in 2010. They turned out very well but most recent SFHs have problems with curled toes and other problems. I would like to go to Sweden and get some fresh blood to bring to the US.

I don't know why everybody bashes Greenfire Farms. I got some very good quality SFHs from them. Unfortunately, they all got killed by a coon. Otherwise I would still have them.

I have one. I bought her from MPC as a day old pullet last August, so she is 5 months old now. She has a toe that curves out, but otherwise she is healthy and happy. She is curious but prefers to avoid close human contact, but I do not handle them a lot. She is midway in the pecking order of 10. She doesn't bully any of the others, but doesn't put up with being bullied. She hasn't started laying yet, so I can't speak to that.
Jolene:
20190117_144011.jpg

I love my Swedish Flowers but have had a run of horrible luck with them. I do think in the end it was something genetic brought on by stress.
I'm planning on ordering some 55 Flower Hens from Greenfire Farms come spring. They are auto sexing which is great for me. I definitely don't need more roosters.
I considered more Swedish Flowers from them but the rooster thing is a real problem for me. I can't give them away let alone cover $29 a bird that no one wants.

I seen Meyers hat
cher has agh now in Ohio

Back
Top Bottom