Let hens roam free

McReynolds

Chirping
Jan 7, 2022
Have a relatively large garden hedged on 3 sides but not hen proff and is of the road by about 600meters is it OK to let hens out during the day to freely roam , just planted a hedge and have to new flower beds just worried either fox will get them they will run away our they will eat all my plants as I have rubarb and potatos growing etc , should I let them roam free, I have 4 hens

Personally, I would keep them contained in a fenced area most of the time, and only let them out when you are available to supervise.

Yes, they will eat some plants in your garden.
They are not likely to eat much from the rhubarb and potato plants, as those are "poisonous" to chickens and apparently taste bad as well, but they will take a few nibbles and scratch around the base of the plants. The scratching may be bad for the plants.
Depending on what other kinds of plants you have in your garden, they may eat a lot of them.
Your newly planted flower beds will probably get scratched up quite badly.

Yes, they may get eaten by a fox, or run over by a car.

For "running away" the answer is both yes and no. They will probably wander off your property and get on the neighbors' properties, where they will scratch things up, poop, and eat plants. But if they are already used to sleeping at your place, they will probably come home each night to sleep, and will start each day on your property before they wander further again.

They will dig in any loose soil to dust bathe, eat any plants they want and will wander further each day as their confidence grows.
They could certainly be taken by a fox, loose dog, hawk, etc or wander too close to the road and get hit. But they will love foraging. It's up to you too determine the level of risk you can tolerate.

Different people have different tolerance for both loss of chickens and destruction of garden.

If you free range your chickens you will eventually lose some. Can you accept that as a trade-off?

If you free range your chickens you will lose garden and landscape plants. Can you accept that as a trade-off?

Also, is your property large enough that your chickens will not leave it and intrude upon your neighbors? Or, alternately, do you have a perimeter fence to keep them at home?

Back
Top Bottom