Raising chickens in balcony

tanvirglhs

In the Brooder
Jul 4, 2023
Ruhr, Germany
Hello, I'm new here. I recently started raising chickens as pets. I don't have a garden, so I plan to place them on the balcony. My balcony is quite large (5m×1m). I'm planning to place a chicken coop (see picture with sizes). I've two chickens and I hatched the eggs at home. They are one and a half weeks old. They're still indoor in a brooder. I don't plan to place them outside right now as they need warmth. Where I live the temperature gets about get -10° at lowest, but usually -1 to 10° in the winter and around 15-30° in the summer. Right now it's summer.

I have a few questions:

- When can I place them outside (after how many weeks) so they don't need extra heat anymore?
- Is the coop size okay for them (the manufacturer says it's for 4 chickens)? Can they live a healthy life? I'm planning to plant grass at the bottom for them to roam/peck and hemp bedding for the house.
- Do I need to place extra heating in the winter?
- What should I prepare for?

And let me know anything important I missed to ask/mention.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. - I'm sorry if I violated the forum's policy/etiquette. Let me know so I can go on with best practices.

Attachments

• 81XtCQfsybL.jpg
    81XtCQfsybL.jpg
    286.1 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
Welcome.
The coop can not hold 4 chickens safely.

Have you already bought it?

Planting grass would be a waste of time because it will be gone in a matter of a few days and won't grow back.

If it is summertime you can probably put them out today.

Welcome.
The coop can not hold 4 chickens safely.

Have you already bought it?

Planting grass would be a waste of time because it will be gone in a matter of a few days and won't grow back.

If it is summertime you can probably put them out today.
Thank you for your reply.

Yes. I bought it already. But I have only two chickens and I don't need to put 4 in there. Will that be enough for 2? Moreover, what do you recommend instead of grass? Should I put hemp bedding there as well? Currently the temperature is around 15° (at night) to 23° (at daytime).

Last edited:
Welcome! Ah, prefab coops. They always present their challenges. I would suggest you check out the coop forum and get some ideas about size accommodations and bedding solutions. I think what you're trying to do can definitely work, you'll just need to adapt your setup and get creative. ;)

I am not sure what hemp bedding is.
I personally will fill it with a good 6 inches of peat moss or dirt.

I would put my chicks out with out added at those temps.

I am not sure what hemp bedding is.
I personally will fill it with a good 6 inches of peat moss or dirt.

I would put my chicks out with out added at those temps.
I have hemp for the deep bedding in our coop. It's pricey (think Carolina Coops), but it stays there all year, so I don't mind. It looks a bit like fine straw. I also have mine in a dirt coop floor though, so I'm not sure how deep bedding would go on a solid floor. :/

Don't buy a pre-fabricated coop, they are fraught with issues. Make sure if youre allowed to have chickens, they are loud, dirty and smelly.
If you just want pets, I'd lean towards bantams.
Though I seriously doubt chickens make good porch pets
Thank you for the suggestions, but as I already bought it so gotta use it. I think it's allowed and no one will complain. The fact is, I tried experimenting with egg hatching and now I've two chicks with a lot of emotional ties. I feel like I've to go on with what I have..

I think it's allowed
Do you live in an apartment?
Is there a roof over the balcony?
How much direct sun does the balcony get?
Can you post a couple pics of it?

Where I live the temperature gets about get -10° at lowest, but usually -1 to 10° in the winter and around 15-30° in the summer. Right now it's summer.
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1688506408534.png

Back
Top Bottom