Let me introduce myself

Tammi2lee

In the Brooder
Jun 23, 2019
Hi all. I am thankful to have this opportunity to learn more about keeping domestic poultry/fowl. In my case it's ducks. I currently share my home with two other friends, and one of them has always raised quail and pheasant for a raise/release program through our state conservation league.

I myself was raised on a beef farm. We only raised cattle and grew farms crops, so I am not as familiar with the responsibilities of raising poultry/fowl. One of our neighbors had a huge pond with ducks, which I always admired. Also another friend of mine lives on the back waters of the Wisconsin River and has ducks, chickens, a rooster, and some geese.

A little over a month ago one of my housemates purchased four domestic mallards ducklings which he intended to place in the pond in the back yard. Half of the back yard is considered marshland, and the natural pond is very large with tall marsh grasses and including some yellow flowering grasses.

The ducks were purchased from a local hardware store. We had them in brooders with heated lamps until they were old enough to go outside in an outdoor enclosure normally used for the quail and pheasant young before they are released into the wild (again for conservation in accordance with state regulations).

Unfortunately, we lost three to a racoon attack (view my post "rescued an injured domestic mallard and need advice").

I came across this forum searching to see if anyone else had some experience raising a blind duck, and I am thankful to have at least viewed one who said others in his/her flock were guiding him to food and water. My special species vet wanted me to put him down because he was blind, but I opted to keep him.

I have found some great ideas for altering the current enclosure. I would be very greatful to anyone who would also help me find resources to design a safe daytime enclosure with a pond and safe house, although at night he would be transferred to the safer enclosure.

Please also check out my other post. I would be greatful for any advice regarding my poor little duck.

Best Regards to all of you!

Last edited:
Hi all. I am thankful to have this opportunity to learn more about keeping domestic poultry/fowl. In my case it's ducks. I currently share my home with two other friends, and one of them has always raised quail and pheasant for a raise/release program through our state conservation league.

I myself was raised on a beef farm. We only raised cattle and grew farms crops, so I am not as familiar with the responsibilities of raising poultry/fowl. One of our neighbors had a huge pond with ducks, which I always admired. Also another friend of mine lives on the back waters of the Wisconsin River and has ducks, chickens, a rooster, and some geese.

A little over a month ago one of my housemates purchased four domestic mallards ducklings which he intended to place in the pond in the back yard. Half of the back yard is considered marshland, and the natural pond is very large with tall marsh grasses and including some yellow flowering grasses.

The ducks were purchased from a local hardware store. We had them in brooders with heated lamps until they were old enough to go outside in an outdoor enclosure normally used for the quail and pheasant young before they are released into the wild (again for conservation in accordance with state regulations).

Unfortunately, we lost three to a racoon attack (view my post "rescued an injured domestic mallard and need advice").

I came across this forum searching to see if anyone else had some experience raising a blind duck, and I am thankful to have at least viewed one who said others in his/her flock were guiding him to food and water. My special species vet wanted me to put him down because he was blind, but I opted to keep him.

I have found some great ideas for altering the current enclosure. I would be very greatful to anyone who would also help me find resources to design a safe daytime enclosure with a pond and safe house, although at night he would be transferred to the safer enclosure.

Please also check out my other post. I would be greatful for any advice regarding my poor little duck.

Best Regards to all of you!
Welcome to BYC!

Do you have pictures of your duck? We love pictures!
I hope your duck is able to live. I always feel as though every animal deserves a chance to live rather than being put down.

Hope you enjoy BYC and the amazing flock within!

Back
Top Bottom