Let me see your birds!!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by CloudedLullaby, Aug 18, 2019.

1. CaliFarmsAR

CaliFarmsAR Songster

Apr 26, 2019
    All of them are so beautiful and cute!'

2. CalBickieMomma

CalBickieMomma Songster

Here are all my Littles! Agatha and Maisie are Silver Laced Wyandottes (and hopefully both pullets), Beatrix and Viola are Ameraucanas (but most likely Easter Eggers because I got them at a farm supply warehouse), Dinah and Sylvia are Silver Laced Polish, Eloise and Hattie are Rhode Island Reds, Gerard and Gretchen are Buff Orpingtons (Gerard was Gertrude until he was about 3-4 weeks old when I realized he was acting way too full of himself to be a pullet ;)). And lastly, Victoria is a Guinea fowl (who showed up out of nowhere in my yard when she was about 2-3 weeks old. I’m keeping my fingers crossed she is actually a hen because I’m afraid her Guinea fowlness might end up injuring my Bickies. So far, she’s just been a little rough with one of the hens but only noticed it a few times. She just gets excited now and darts about, sometimes bumping into her chicken siblings ;)).

Attached Files:

Mimi’s 13 and Eevee like this.
  3. Duck_life

Duck_life Songster

May 14, 2019
    Woods of PA
    you can catch him in the day and fence him in he should get used to the coop?

Mimi’s 13 likes this.
  4. Duck_life

Duck_life Songster

May 14, 2019
    Woods of PA
    Love the guinea! i have juveniles that look just like victoria! they are the sweetest things! they love pets and lap sittings, also treats!

Mimi’s 13 likes this.
  5. Duck_life

Duck_life Songster

May 14, 2019
    Woods of PA
    also you are gonna need more guineas, they live in packs and normally don't do good without more.. it is like leaving a duck all alone for years with no friends, even if they are with chickens, they are 2 different birds, they don't speak the same language.

Mimi’s 13 and CalBickieMomma like this.
  6. HuffleClaw

HuffleClaw Wrangling Ducks

Jul 8, 2018
    Alabama (Southern USA)
    My girl Sugar :love
    31D3FC87-CF60-4D2B-B11E-EE4984E959C9.jpeg

Mimi’s 13 and CalBickieMomma like this.
  7. Duck_life

Duck_life Songster

May 14, 2019
    Woods of PA
    omg so cute! have anymore silkies or bantams? i would love to see them!!! :love:love:love:love:bow:bow

Mimi’s 13 and HuffleClaw like this.
  8. HuffleClaw

HuffleClaw Wrangling Ducks

Jul 8, 2018
    Alabama (Southern USA)
    Thank you! I have lots of silkies & bantams. I will upload some pictures in just a bit. :)

9. CalBickieMomma

CalBickieMomma Songster

Thanks for the feedback! Ugh, I mentioned getting another Guinea on another thread (male or female depending on if Victoria was really Victoria or Victor) and someone said it wouldn't help the situation (back when I was concerned she/he was showing aggression towards the chickens). If I do get another, will just one be enough for her/him? And Victoria has been raised with the chickens (so will she accept the other Guinea?). Should I worry that, if I'm able to find another one, it will cause more trouble having two vs. the chickens? I never intended to get Guineas - like I said, Victoria showed up in my yard out of nowhere and I couldn't leave her all alone to be eaten by predators, crying for her family, poor wee thing :hit. And I can't let them free range - my idiot dogs will most likely kill them.

Sorry for all the questions, but I have zero experience with Guineas and want Victoria to be happy and also want the chickens to be safe and I'm getting all kinds of conflicting advice (but I'm so glad to hear yours like pets! Vic will sit on my legs and I'll 'capture' her every now and then and put her in my lap and hold her and pet her. She mostly tolerates it, but when she's calm, I slowly remove my arms from around her and let her slowly walk away to show her I'm not going to hurt her :love). I also found this YouTube video of a man who has a Guinea hen who follows him around, so maybe Victoria will be okay being the only one?

Mimi’s 13 likes this.
  10. CloudedLullaby

CloudedLullaby Chirping

Jul 12, 2019
    Oooooooooooooh my gosh. I love them!!!!!!

CalBickieMomma likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: