Let my Muscovy's hatch their own eggs or set them in my incubator?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by crperdue, Jul 27, 2010.

1. crperdue

crperdue Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2008
    Lake Waccamaw, NC
    I've got a dozen ducks about a month or so from laying. Should I
    let them do the hatching or take them and incubate them in my
    cabinet incubator?

What do you do?

2. nuts4chickens

nuts4chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2009
    Kingston, GA
    Personally- I don't think anyone can hatch or brood better than a momma and waaaay less of a headache and worry! No egg turning, no constantly monitoring temps or humidity, no oops power outages, no stinky brooder boxes.... And broodies are so heartwarming to watch!

3. Caprice_Acres

Caprice_Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    Michigan
    If this year's hatch, Muscovies may not start to lay until next spring. At least, that's what all mine do. Muscovies do NOT steadily lay like egg laying breeds... You won't find an egg a day. A muscovy will only lay when they want to start building a nest. You'll begin to see the hen leaving with the drake on individual 'dates'... soon after, you'll find an egg in the corner of the coop. If you want, you can move the first eggs to a better part of the coop and make a nest - she's more likely to lay in one spot or a 'good' spot that way. She won't build the nest until a couple days before she starts to set the nest - usually pulling breast feathers for additional fluff a day or so before incubation.

If the ducks are laying in a good, dry, safe place, let them set. I've never had any luck at all trying to artificially hatch muscovies. However, with muscovies expect a VERY high hatch out, LOL!

4. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Let the broodies hatch them. They make the best moms and incubating Muscovy, I hear, is diffucult.

5. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    It's a lot easier to let them do it! [​IMG]

6. theimis67

theimis67 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2010
    Wisconsin Rapids, WI
    My Muscovy hen laid 17 eggs and hatched them all herself! Not a single dud egg in the nest! I was very impressed! At first I thought there was 16 but I miss counted. 17 was a pleasant surprise!

7. KingsCalls

KingsCalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    New Market,Tn.
    If they lay this year (which they may not)....I say let the mothers do the hatching. I use to let a muscovy hatch mandarin eggs and they do a great job.

8. tmonaa16

tmonaa16 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 20, 2014
    GU
    Okay. There are now 17 eggs in the nest. When is she gonna stop [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by