Let out in Rain or Not?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Litewings, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Litewings

Litewings Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2008
    Summerfield, NC
    Hey Guys.
    I've got a question. I've got Three Silkies (you know those furry birds) that I keep in a 4' x 8' coop. I hate to keep the birds coop-up all day. I have a small door that I use to close them up at night for safety and I usually open it up in the mornings as I'm going out to work to let them out into their run. Right now it's raining and the "run" is wet and muddy. Do most people let their birds out even in this type of weather? (I realize that there people who keep their "SHOW BIRDS" in a small pen all the time. But I like to let the little guys out for fresh air.)
    Litewings

[​IMG]

2. WilczenskiFarm

WilczenskiFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Pembroke, MA
    Well, I don't have show birds. That being said, I let my girls do what they do... open the door... they decide if they want to go out. Yes they get wet, but they're not dumb. They go inside quite a bit to stay out of the rain and dry up:)

3. hankus

hankus Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2009
    Mine have a choice stay in the coop or go out. When I get home they are usually wet.

4. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    I wouldnt lock them out in the rain, but as long as they have the option to go where it's dry, it's all good.

5. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Quote:Did you miss the part where she said she had SILKIES?? [​IMG]

Open the door and let them choose. I have some(not silkies REAL birds that will come out regardless of the weather, even if its just to stand next to the house out of the rain [​IMG]

6. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    For health reasons I would never prevent a chook from getting fresh air and sunshine. I do not have any show birds. Just standard high-production layers, so I do not know the ins and outs of showing birds. Seems cruel to keep in cages all of the time to look good for somebody once and a while tho.

Mine are out rain or shine. That is why God designed them to have oil for their feathers (for all of you that want to bathe yours in soapy water that will dissolve the natural oils).

7. MiniBeesKnees

MiniBeesKnees Chillin' With My Peeps

I give mine the choice too...I let mine out to free range on my small fenced rural property. Snow, rain...they go out anyway. I leave the door open so they can go in if they want to. Only when it was so cold for a few days I kept them in all the time but that was because I was heating the coop and didn't want it to cool all the way down before I closed it up again and the heater had to heat it again. The heater is one of those oil filled ones that look like a radiator and it is slow acting to heat, but does a good job at maintaining a temperature.

8. ray2310

ray2310 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Smithfield, PA
    Mine are soaking wet in the pouring rain right now. And loving it.

9. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

The only time mine don't go out is when there is snow on the ground. That's not because I won't let them out but because they don't like stepping in it.

10. Ms~Silkie~Girl

Ms~Silkie~Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    New York STATE
    i let my chickens out in the rain, but they aren't showbirds, i personnaly wouldn't let my silkie(s) outside when it is muddy cuz then it gets stuck in the feathers, and their feet feathers

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by