Let the nail biting begin! Poults in the mail!

Make sure they have a nice warm small spot in the brooder like 100 degrees until they can get fully warmed up. But they must be able to get away from hot spot if needed to a cooler spot farther away from heat not sure how big your brooder is. A little sugar water would be good but nutri-drench would be great to get them going.
I wish I had gotten nutri-drench now. I have sav-a-chick in their water. I used it for my chicks that I got in the mail two weeks ago and it worked really well but I'm just second guessing not getting nutri-drench now. Brooder is decent sized, they have a hot spot and cool spots so we're good to go on that front. 1.5 more hours until I can go home for lunch and check them!

I have sav-a-chick in their water.
You should be ok with that, nutri-drench is always a good thing to have on hand it works great for anytime a bird is off/just not looking well from stress it gives them a boost very fast. I bet you are really biting your nails at work just wondering how they are doing. Sounds like you have your bases covered things should be fine.

You should be ok with that, nutri-drench is always a good thing to have on hand it works great for anytime a bird is off/just not looking well from stress it gives them a boost very fast. I bet you are really biting your nails at work just wondering how they are doing. Sounds like you have your bases covered things should be fine.
YES! Well I went home on lunch break. The one blue slate is still barely hanging on. Very lethargic and getting picked on by the other poults. Dunked its beak some more and it opened its eyes and became a little more lively by the time I had to go again. I separated it in the brooder so the others wouldn't bother it.

THEN there's this one Narragansett with quite the attitude. I understand turkeys peck things but this one is trampling others, pecking beaks, eyes, and grabbing others' legs. I'm not sure what to do with this one. Everyone kind of pecks back except the bourbon reds who just seem to take it and I'm worried about them. blah. I'm glad it's Friday and I can play vet tech/referee all weekend!

THEN there's this one Narragansett with quite the attitude. I understand turkeys peck things but this one is trampling others, pecking beaks, eyes, and grabbing others'
It should settle down everything is new once they find their food and water they should ease up. They do peak at things especially feet/toes, but it should be fine and stop. If it's convenient on your way home wouldn't be a bad idea to get that nutri-drench and give the week ones a drop directly a few times a day and add it to all their water for a few days. You may have to dip beaks in water then feed to get some started but if a few are eating/drinking the others usually pick it up fast.

Back
Top Bottom