Lethargic 13 week old BR

nchully

In the Brooder
Jun 5, 2017
I have read a bunch on this matter but all say different things. I have a 13 week old BR that is acting very lethargic. She is sleeping standing up and acting as if she is blind. Eyes look okay though. She gets up to the feeder and acts as if she can't find the feed. She will eat but not a lot. My chickens were all free range until just a few days ago when I lost two to possible predators. Since then they have not been getting time out of the run as much until I can source this predator issue. The lethargy seems to have started since she has begun spending more time in the coop and run.

More info:
-This is my first experience with chickens
-My girls eat scratch and peck feed which they love.
-They are not laying yet.
-I had 16 but two are gone since the weekend. 8 of the hens are about 13-14 weeks old. The other 6 are about 8 weeks old.

Any help is greatly appreciated. If you need more info let me know.

Attachments

• IMG_8205.PNG
    IMG_8205.PNG
    2.3 MB · Views: 33
She could have caught something. I have a hen that acts the same way, and it turned out that she is sick (been giving her meds). But she is not blind, give your hen some medicine

I have read a bunch on this matter but all say different things. I have a 13 week old BR that is acting very lethargic. She is sleeping standing up and acting as if she is blind. Eyes look okay though. She gets up to the feeder and acts as if she can't find the feed. She will eat but not a lot. My chickens were all free range until just a few days ago when I lost two to possible predators. Since then they have not been getting time out of the run as much until I can source this predator issue. The lethargy seems to have started since she has begun spending more time in the coop and run.

More info:
-This is my first experience with chickens
-My girls eat scratch and peck feed which they love.
-They are not laying yet.
-I had 16 but two are gone since the weekend. 8 of the hens are about 13-14 weeks old. The other 6 are about 8 weeks old.

Any help is greatly appreciated. If you need more info let me know.
Welcome to BYC...sorry you are having troubles.
It sounds like, and she looks to be ill.
Hard to say what it is, but birds can carry many diseases with no symptoms or ill affect until they are put under stress, like a predator attack.

What kind of scratch and peck feed? Starter, Grower, Layer?
What do her poops look like?
Is she sneezing or have any nasal discharge?
Have you tried testing her vision by bringing your hand up quickly to the side of her head to see if she reacts?

Going to ask to have this moved to the disease forum....might get better help there.

Back
Top Bottom