Lethargic 2 year olds

DukesDucks

Crowing
Oct 6, 2019
Eastern Ontario, Canada
The temperatures were unseasonably warm but we are having a week of cold and rain. The older peafowl don't seem to having a problem adapting. They have a large run and access to an area of the barn if they choose to come in.
I had 3 2-year old peas. I found one dead with no previous signs of illness or injury. The other 2 are looking droopy, hunched, and with their heads tucked in. On catching them, I realized they have lost weight. I have moved them into an area with a heat lamp. I have upped the amount of protein by giving them a scrambled egg and cat food in addition to their usual food.
As mentioned, the older ones are fine. Is there anything else I can do to help the 2-year olds.

Picking up deworming meds tomorrow. I'll try to find a vet around who will do a fecal exam or is there a way I can do my own exam.
It is only affecting the 2 youngest birds. If it is worms, would it affect them more than the older ones?

I do my own fecal exams but it requires a microscope and some other minor equipment, if you don't have that there is no time to learn before these birds get worse. The most likely problem is worms but it could also be cocci or blackhead. I prefer to rule out as much as I can so I can begin with the correct treatment right away. If you get either Safeguard or Valbazen give them two ml orally or in their food for five days and then repeat in ten days. That will get rid of all types of worms.

If cocci is the problem you will need to order Toltrazuril the active ingredient in Baycox or Panacure. If neither shows up on the fecal exam then Blackhead could be the problem and that would require metronidazole that you can get in the fish section of any of the big pet stores.

Blackhead will not show on a fecal exam slide.

Most any vet can run a FE, the problem for many is that they lack the ability to identify worm eggs or protozoa. It is really a simple process but every animal has different looking parasite eggs and the protozoa can be a challenge to see if you are not well versed in ID'ing them.

I do plan to dose the entire flock. I have also been giving these 2 extra proteins, scrambled eggs, every day. They certainly seem much better but are still being kempt in a smaller coop area with a heat lamp.
Temperatures have gone from 2C/35F last weekend to 22C/71 tomorrow.
Thank you for your expertise and advice.

The 2 white peas died last night. I have to believe that I did everything I could. It seemed like they just gave up. A necropsy isn't possible here. It is still a mystery to me why they died yet the other 9 peas are healthy and normal.

The 2 white peas died last night. I have to believe that I did everything I could. It seemed like they just gave up. A necropsy isn't possible here. It is still a mystery to me why they died yet the other 9 peas are healthy and normal.
If you have not disposed of them yet you could cut them open and lay the entrails out on a paper towel and take some close up pics. Kathy and I can tell you what you are looking at. The important parts are the livers and if there are any yellow necrosis, the gut, and the cecal pouches. Heart and lungs if possible, usually the lungs fall apart when you touch them but they should be light pink if they are healthy. Save the contents of the cecal pouches for a fecal exam.

Back
Top Bottom