lethargic 8 week old chick - update it is sneezing help please

chickengrapes

Chirping
Mar 20, 2020
Update, in isolation I can see and hear the chick sneezing and breathing with mouth open. please help, what do i do next

I'm hoping you guys can help me with a chick that is acting sick. I'm new to chicken keeping, so I'm still learning.

My chick is 8 weeks old and I hatched them myself. They came from a small silkie certified breeder. It is still in the house and I have been slowly introducing them to the outdoors by taking them our for short periods of time. The chick appears to be puffed up, it looks like a little ball trying to stay awake. It will nuzzle its head into its back to sleep or just let its head fall forward. I believe it is breathing heavy. It sort of rocks forward and back while sitting there. Before I isolated it, it would walk over to the others occasionally. But it just went back by itself after a look around. It just looks like a waddling 9 month pregnant lady when it walks, if that makes sense.

It began yesterday and I know that my daughter introduced it to some fresh sand wanting it to take a dust bath. I have a dust bath in their brooder with topsoil, sand and DE. So, it has been introduced to this bag of sand prior. The other chicks are fine. I have seen no abnormal poop. I have isolated it and given it probiotic water with vitamins and electrolytes. They get regular probiotics and vitamins in their water. I have checked its crop and it seems small, but there. I dont feel like it is soft or hard, but i'm not exactly sure how to know if the crop is showing any abnormal signs.

What should I do? I do have corid on hand. I appreciate any help.

Last edited:
Should she be doing any better at this point?

She is not doing any better today and its close to 24hrs on corid. I gave her a few drops of the concentrated corid to jump start her since she isn't doing much but sleeping and sneezing. She had a formed, but soft poop with mucus on it last night and today. other poops throughout the day have been good, small, but normal. She ate some food but she doesn't move around at all. Any advice on what I should do?

Back
Top Bottom