Lethargic Americana Hen

It doesn't look like she has any food in her.. she went to the bathroom a couple times last night, and all it looks like is some white and clear liquid. She is standing up sleeping.. wings pretty drooped, tail down. I am going to try and feed her again around noon. I put a small amount of food in a bowl for her, so i can see if she's eating any, which she is not.

I wouldn't say she's any better, but she's not any worse either. I am hoping that with some food in her crop, that she starts to feel better in a day or so, enough that she starts to eat on her own.

I had a similar issue about two weeks ago when I went to let my chickens out. One was laying on her side in the coop I picked her up and set her down on the ground, she would stand but then just fall down in a laying position. I kept her inside the house for about four days and fed various things such as yogurt apples cooked corn & gave her water. For the most part her comb looked good. Overall her appearance seemed good but she still wouldn't stand. Finally one of her poops came out with Round Worms. I wormed all 8 of my chickens with Wazine 17 individually with a baby Advil syringe (.625 oz of Wazine and .625 of water) and gave it to them each orally. With in only a days time the sick chick was back to her old self! I really believe she would have died if I hadn't of done the whole process of keeping her inside to monitor her because I would have never know it was worms. If you haven't wormed them, it could very well be the same thing. Round worms make them super uncomfortable and will kill them if not treated. I've only had chickens for about a year and didn't know anything when I started. Good luck!

@Amy1223 Welcome to BYC!

Your suggestion of worms is a good possibility.

@Wolfmoonct is you haven't wormed your girl, you may want to consider it. You can take a fecal sample and have it tested for confirmation of worms if need be.

So basically it was a 50/50 mix of Wazine at just over a half CC? I have Wazine. I check the poop of the flock when I do head count and I have not seen any with worms in it yet.. but I can do a treat for it to the entire flock too.

I just wanted to thank you all for your help, but when I went to check on her about 10 min ago, I found she had passed.

Back
Top Bottom