Lethargic and strange leg baby chick

Sunshinechickies

Songster
Jan 17, 2023
Hi everyone, I just had a batch of baby chicks hatch and one of the chicks is much smaller than the others, weak, and has a strange foot. She hatched a few days later than the others and needed assistance. Her foot is off to the side and I don’t think it is a pulled tendon. I have been giving her egg yolk with green tea and electrolytes and she drinks it well. She doesn’t open her eyes very often and is not a very good walker. I’m wondering if she will make it and what I can do to help, she is only 1 day old. I will try to take some better pics since these aren’t great.
image.jpg
C133060C-1971-48AF-BC09-85F91327588E.jpeg
image.jpg

It's possible she's "coated" with some left over from hatching. Try using warm water/cloth to remove/wipe the coating off it's down feathers ... Make very sure chick don't get chilled, dry with blow dryer or in the incubator. Have you been able to get it to drink some Nutri Drench? Put some at the tip of its beak & careful not to get any in its nostrils. Try see if you can get it to eat some moisten boiled egg yolk and/or chick starter. Main thing is keep it warm

It's possible she's "coated" with some left over from hatching. Try using warm water/cloth to remove/wipe the coating off it's down feathers ... Make very sure chick don't get chilled, dry with blow dryer or in the incubator. Have you been able to get it to drink some Nutri Drench? Put some at the tip of its beak & careful not to get any in its nostrils. Try see if you can get it to eat some moisten boiled egg yolk and/or chick starter. Main thing is keep it warm
I didn’t have any nutri drench at the moment so I ordered some and it is coming tomorrow. I got her to eat a little bit of egg yolk but she won’t eat the chick starter, she is not 3 days old yet but almost is so is it normal for her to not be interested in food yet? She does drink water and I have electrolytes in it. She was separated from the other chicks for a while but she is better at walking now and I put her back in today and they all get along well. Thank you for your help, tomorrow I will get her more egg yolk and the Nutri drench. She is about half the size of the others, they are mixes of many chickens and I know she came from a blue egg but I do have some silkies and a white silkie rooster that she could have came from. She doesn’t have 5 toes, black feet, or a crest though.

I didn’t have any nutri drench at the moment so I ordered some and it is coming tomorrow. I got her to eat a little bit of egg yolk but she won’t eat the chick starter, she is not 3 days old yet but almost is so is it normal for her to not be interested in food yet? She does drink water and I have electrolytes in it. She was separated from the other chicks for a while but she is better at walking now and I put her back in today and they all get along well. Thank you for your help, tomorrow I will get her more egg yolk and the Nutri drench. She is about half the size of the others, they are mixes of many chickens and I know she came from a blue egg but I do have some silkies and a white silkie rooster that she could have came from. She doesn’t have 5 toes, black feet, or a crest though.
Sugar water is a good supplement to nutridrentch or those others if you don't have anything else 👍

She seems to be doing much better and is hanging out with the other chicks, drinking water, and even started to eat food on her own! Her leg also straightened itself out.

Back
Top Bottom