Lethargic Baby Chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by corinnegoerner, Mar 1, 2012.

1. corinnegoerner

corinnegoerner New Egg

Feb 9, 2012
    Hello!

I am new to raising chicks. I purchased a few different breeds of chicks. Including 2 blue andalusians. These 2 chicks are very lethargic, one more so than the other. They dont move around much and constantly have their heads pointed down and their eyes closed. They are only a couple days old and im concerned they arent going to make it. What can I do for them???

2. bloom chicks

bloom chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    FL
    Do you have sav- a-chick electrolite and vitamins. Try giving it to them with a dropper and see if that helps.

[​IMG]

3. corinnegoerner

corinnegoerner New Egg

Feb 9, 2012
    ive heard about sav-a-chick. My vet told me to give them sugar water or gatorade ...will that be ok until I can purchase sav-a-chick? i also have them on a medicated feed.

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Sugar water, Gatorade or pedialyte will be fine. Mix it with water. If you have poly-vi-sol WITHOUT iron, that would be better.

You could make some feed damp with water and see if you can get it to eat some.

5. corinnegoerner

corinnegoerner New Egg

Feb 9, 2012
    thanks for the advice! , all my other chicks are thriving, its just these 2 that seem to declining. hopefully they make it!

6. dklaphaak

dklaphaak New Egg

Mar 12, 2012
    I just read over these posts and tried the sugar water with an old eye dropper I rinsed out. It was amazing! Within 10 or 15 seconds, the lethargic chick went from refusing to drink, to getting the sugar on it's beak, to drinking from the dropper! Then, it jumped out of my hand, ran back into the brooder and summarily trounced on the all the other chicks.... WOW. Sugar really is a miracle drug. ;-)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by