Lethargic chick, how often to give water?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lakeontariochicks, Jul 2, 2010.

1. lakeontariochicks

lakeontariochicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2010
    Lake Ontario, NY
    Never mind- she died. [​IMG]

My new chicks arrived today! [​IMG]
    Hubby came home with them, and said that two were dead. [​IMG]
    I took all the live ones out- 14, and looked and one of the "dead" ones was moving. Separated her and gave her some sugar water. Within about an hour, she had perked up enough to put her with the rest.
    Now, one of the Jersey Giants, who really wasn't interested in moving much after I gave her water is really sleepy. She is sleeping a lot.
    I hate to disturb her if it's sleep she needs, but I want to give her more sugar water.
    How often should I be giving her some? I have been putting it on my finger then along side her beak.

There was one packing peanut- a Jersey Giant!

Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
  2. ChickenChik

ChickenChik Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Kinsey, Alabama
    I'm sorry it's always hard to lose one.

3. MarlaKaye

MarlaKaye Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2009
    When chicks hatch and get tossed a a box to go for a ride to thier new home, they can vary in how long one has been hatched to the next. Some have gotten thier bearings more than others. a couple of hours makes a big differance.

I would offer water every 20 min and not less than every half hour. but do you have electrolite mix?
    there is a green gel also that baby chicks will eat when they have been sent through the mail. I think the word Grow is in the name of it. maybe it is called Green Grow. Someone will tell us I'm sure.

I would remove weak chicks from the rest of them because they will get trampled to death.
    sectioning them off in the brooder is hard to do because they may get too hot or too cold. I lost a baby that way the other day, My Bh thought he had it all under control by making a safe place for her in the corner,He put the light over closer to the corner so she would have plenty of warmth. She wasn't restrained to the corner, but then she didn't know how to leave the corner and the heat killed her. Broke my heart.

I did save a couple of babies this week by offering them scrambled eggs. I mixed some milk and chick feed in the eggs and fried them up in the pan. if you can get the chick to eat even a 1/4 teaspoon to start, it will soon be on its way. offer it every 30 min and keep water too, but the milk in the eggs makes it soft/tender and gets some liquid into the chick. Be certain to squish it up into tiny pieces so they can handle it.

The first day, I kept the weak chicks in a bandana around my neck. This has worked for several differant chicks even older chicks who need some help, over the years. It is tiring work, but very rewarding.

Once they get enough food and want to move around they are on their way. Just keep your eye on them. If you have two chicks that need the attention, they help keep each other warm, but one or two chicks will survive kept in a bandana around my neck. My husband will take the bandana if I need a break. He wears it around his neck and goes about the buisness of his work. Even meeting clients without a care. They don't do much pooping when they are too weak to eat much, so that is not a concern, the bandana stays pretty clean. If you are having to get out more than one Bandana a day, then they are probably ready to go back to the brooder. You might want to line it with a paper towel, or not. Usually about two days will perk them up. You can take them out of the bandana and hold them in your hands any time you want. Just think warm. your body heat against thiers is enough.

A mistake I made one time was putting two weak chicks in a box with one of those hand warmers. What a heartbreak, they get way to hot, and the chicks fall asleep on them when they feel just right, and never wake up. The hand warmers just get hotter and hotter.

Another thing that will save a weak chick is when you have it in the bandana, it hears your breathing and talking, so hum a little tune. doesn't matter what it is, even a few notes stuck together over and over. When we have done this and been able to save a chick, they have turned out to be some of our favorites. makeing low sounds resonates through your bones and they love it. If you know anything about music, hum it in a minor key. "or just go up and down in half notes". Three notes is plenty. sometimes I will go with two notes. Listen to thier little peeps and make human sounds that echo them. they will have a conversation with you and before you know it they will "twur" for you. This is the equivelent to a cat's purr. It won't last long, they don't have the strength. But if you get a twur you know they now have the will to live.

Any family member can do this, they just must be concious about not squishing the chick. watching tv and any chores you do are ok as long as the chick is against your skin and hears your heartbeat. I have noticed them positioning thier head over my bones for the resonance. I put my hand to the bandana as often as I can to warm them and give them another form of maternal contact.This is A precious experience everyone should have.

I know this is long, but it is a subject close to my heart, and I wanted to share with you. I'm lookining forward to finding out how it goes for you.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by