lethargic chick with labored breathing

hwally

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 10, 2008
I live in Mexico and have some very small chickens the locals call Costa Ricans. We have three chicks, about 3 weeks old. I noticed one is off by itsself and seems to have labored breathing. It also has bare shin showing in circles around its eyes. The other two seem fine. The chick was lively when I caught it and ran away when I let it go. I checked it's crop and the other end to see if it was plugged off outside of the eyes everything else seems fine. We don't have any vets here so we usually try herbal or other such remedies. We do have a in the next village. Thaanks for any help.

Quote:
I had one go like that this month. I brought her in, kept her warm, gave her vitamins - poly vi sol (childrens vit drops - the kind without iron), added electrolytes to her water, and fed her very high calorie warmed damp food a few times a day ( I had made homemade chicken soup - I used all the vegetables I'd used for stock and some of the broth and fat to mix with her food - made a paste and fed it)

When it got bad I stuck a humidifier next to her cage for a few days.

She's since recovered and begun to buff back out. I think she'd been hurt or trapped at some point and gotten cold and sick. It's quite cold here now. But an injury or being stuck trapped somewhere can start a chick into shock and make them vulnerable to illness.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom