Lethargic chick with prolapse

This is her poop from 2 mins ago and her prolapse has come back out
IMG_3241.jpeg

IMG_3242.jpeg

She really squeals when I try to push it back in ☹️

Harkers coxoid is given 1 teaspoonful per gallon according to this label. That is given for 7 days as the only water source. In addition you can give the chick undiluted 0.1 ml per pound of weight once or twice daily. Then for the rest of the day, give it with a dropper or encourage it to drink by holding a small cup or dish up to it’s beak. I would wait to give the Flubenvet in feed. Panacur horse paste may be available there. It is a good wormer that can be given orally. If you get that let us know what strength.
I can get that here, I used it for my horse Neez, unfortunately I had to re-home him when I had an aneurysm, but I still have family who have horses, so I will ask them if they have any asap

So, Alarm set for 6am. I haven’t started the coxoid yet, but this little girl is making such a row, eating, drinking, stomping around the brooder. She looks 💯 better, I picked her up to check her over and the prolapse is back out.
She looks like she is straining, sort of constipated 🤷‍♀️
Edited to add: A blockage doesn’t make sense though since she is pooping
🤷‍♀️ Also coxoid added to water 🤞

Last edited:
Just to add, she hatched on the 5th May, I had to assist, I had to tape legs because she had splayed leg and a few toe nails missing.
Sometimes it is not only the easily visible abnormalities we deal with, they often come with deformities of their digestive tract as well, such as constrictions of the sphincter.

In some cases it can help to feed them chilled bits of coconut oil and to lube up the cloaca and try to very gently strech it with a likewise lubed q-tip or similar. One has to be very careful doing this and make sure that the diameter of the used tool is appropriate and thst there will be no sharp edges etc.

“She” is a He and has looking really miserable all day ☹️ I am giving the coxoid and coconut oil, but that prolapse pops out as soon as I put it back in continuously. He is also breathing heavily and seems to be stumbling, I’m wondering if it would be kinder to put him out of his misery.
IMG_3259.jpeg

That is really your call, we aren't there to see how it's going. If you think it's suffering with not much chance of recovery, no one would find you in the wrong to end suffering. If you want to keep trying, I would try the coconut oil for 24 hours if possible, and if you have some hydrocortisone cream apply that to the prolapse, it can help with swelling. If you don't have that, then apply honey if you have that, it will also keep it moist and help with swelling. When swelling goes down then sometimes it will stay in better. With larger birds I sometimes use a kind of sling wrap to help hold it in, might be hard to do one a small one. Pictures of that are here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/successful-vent-prolapse-treatment-with-photos.1101406/

That is really your call, we aren't there to see how it's going. If you think it's suffering with not much chance of recovery, no one would find you in the wrong to end suffering.
I understand that, It is really hard to make the right decision, it is horrible to see him so fragile and sad 😞 I have brought his little friend in (a polish who’s Pom covers her eyes so no chance of pecking) and he seems to have picked up a little bit and has settled down some. I will keep trying with the coconut and giving coxoid and see how he goes. I have been cleaning his but with hypoallergenic baby wipes, he seems to fragile to wash in a little bowl.
I have pinewood’s bites and stings relief cream, main ingredient is hydrocortisone 1.0% would that be ok to use?
Great article 👍 thank you, I think it would be worth giving it a go with smaller strips,

Back
Top Bottom