Lethargic chick with prolapse

Mrs J

Reiki 🙏 Take time to make your soul happy 🔮🌕
Apr 20, 2020
Gloucestershire
Hi All
I have a little chick who is really poorly, I was checking for mites (that time of year) and noticed she had a really mucky vent and a prolapse. This was 6pm UK time.

I brought her inside, crop was nearly empty but a bit squishy.
Treatment: Epsom salt wash to clean her vent, canisten cream given orally, sprayed prolapse with vetrycin and put back in. Offered scrambled egg, she is quite thin so I think this problem has been going on for a few days and I haven’t noticed because she has been acting normal 🤷‍♀️ I have been giving her nutri drench through a syringe every 2 hours and she is under a heat plate in the brooder.
Also, I just checked her before heading to bed (11pm) and she is so mucky again. She is really lethargic, not eating or drinking since I brought her inside, she has pooped a couple of times and the prolapse comes back out, could this be a blockage? The only time I have dealt with a prolapse has been because of a blockage 🤷‍♀️
Just to add, she hatched on the 5th May, I had to assist, I had to tape legs because she had splayed leg and a few toe nails missing. She has been thriving up until now. Any help would be appreciated
IMG_3235.jpeg

She might be suffering from coccidiosis.
Treatment would be Amprolium or for more severe cases a sulfa drug.

Did you ever deworm her?

She might be suffering from coccidiosis.
Treatment would be Amprolium or for more severe cases a sulfa drug.

Did you ever deworm her?
I haven’t wormed the chicks, I do have ivermectin but it says not to use on chicks under 12 weeks I think, so I have been hesitant to use it, I also have harkers coxoid.
IMG_3238.jpeg

Would these be safe to use?

I would get started on the Harkers coxoid in case of coccidiosis. That is more of an emergency. Flubenvet is used in the feed, and she may not be eating normally right now if she has coccidiosis. You want her to take enough of the wormer to do it’s job.

I would get started on the Harkers coxoid in case of coccidiosis. That is more of an emergency. Flubenvet is used in the feed, and she may not be eating normally right now if she has coccidiosis. You want her to take enough of the wormer to do it’s job.
She is not eating or drinking ☹️ could I give this raw through a syringe to start? Or should I work the dosage out with water and then give it through a syringe?

Harkers coxoid is given 1 teaspoonful per gallon according to this label. That is given for 7 days as the only water source. In addition you can give the chick undiluted 0.1 ml per pound of weight once or twice daily. Then for the rest of the day, give it with a dropper or encourage it to drink by holding a small cup or dish up to it’s beak. I would wait to give the Flubenvet in feed. Panacur horse paste may be available there. It is a good wormer that can be given orally. If you get that let us know what strength.

Back
Top Bottom