Lethargic chick

SuziG

In the Brooder
Apr 16, 2021
I just got a "batch of new chicks 2 days ago. This morning 1 of the Amberlinks was laying on its side not moving with another chick standing on top. We warmed her up by putting her to our chest with another little chick, then got a syringe with a bit of warm water and sugar. 2 hours later after nursing a few drops down her she finally opened her eyes, began chirping and stood up.
Not sure if this was the right thing to do, but it worked..... so far.
Does anyone have any more suggestions or thoughts.
Thanks
Suzi

UPDATE: 7 hours ago I thought this little one was a goner. She is eating, drinking and cuddling with 2 other little ones that helped with the recovery. :love

Last edited:
Are you new to chickens?

When you get your chicks, it's always good to give them some water straight off, and putting in some sugar and/or ACV is always recommended. She might be low on energy, dehydrated, or be getting bullied. Keep an eye on her and the general behavior towards her.

Are you new to chickens?

When you get your chicks, it's always good to give them some water straight off, and putting in some sugar and/or ACV is always recommended. She might be low on energy, dehydrated, or be getting bullied. Keep an eye on her and the general behavior towards her.
Yes, I am fairly new to raising chickens. Growing up with them until I was 7 didn't prepare me enough.
I have 3 Rhode Island Reds that I got last summer and decided to add to the flock (26 to be exact). I did give them water right away, but was hard to keep track of how much each one got, lol.
What is ACV?

Yes, I am fairly new to raising chickens. Growing up with them until I was 7 didn't prepare me enough.
I have 3 Rhode Island Reds that I got last summer and decided to add to the flock (26 to be exact). I did give them water right away, but was hard to keep track of how much each one got, lol.
What is ACV?
apple cider vinegar, but i dont add anything to the water, i dont find it helpful. good fresh water is the best thing for chicks

What is ACV?
ACV is Apple Cider Vinegar. It helps with their energy and boosting their immune systems.

Back
Top Bottom