Lethargic Chick

LoisCroft

Hatching
12 Years
Mar 27, 2007
One of our wild hens hatched out a real assortment of chicks last night. One of them just doesn't look right. It just sits there and peeps loudly. The others are walking around and don't peep nearly as much. This one even feels different when I hold him, he doesn't move like other chicks.

Anything I can do for him? I saw he was getting stepped on by the others, so I took him from the nest (brave move with a wild hen, I'll tell you) and have him wrapped up in my t-shirt. This was the key to saving a chick once that had been attacked, but I wonder if there is anything else I can do.

Lois, the constant peeping is a sign that somethings wrong. Maybe the peep was layed on by mom. You will have to decide if you want to seperate the one, or place it back with mom and take your chances.

If mom is going to raise the chicks, it might work to seperate till strong enough and then return to mom, just a day or two and you should be able to tell.

bigzio

Lois......I would definately keep it inside for a few days...and keep it warm...offer water, maybe a little karo in the water for a boost...and food. Medicated food, if you have it. Good luck...keep us posted!

Unfortunately, the baby died an hour or so after I posted. I saw some damage on him, looked like not morethan a scratch, but I saw her standing on one of the babies this morning. I took the baby out, seems OK, but I wonder if I should remove more babies? She has 10, maybe too many for a first time mom?

Back
Top Bottom