Lethargic chick

bcostley

In the Brooder
Apr 4, 2015
Northwest Oregon
I found one of our almost 3 week old chicks lethargic and with eyes closed yesterday morning. None of the other chicks in the brooder show any signs of trouble. We separated and after a day it has improved. Eyes are open and it is drinking. I don't know whether it is eating. It moves around tentatively but is shaky. It is pooping. I'm no expert in chick poop, but the poop seems normal, perhaps a but watery. I didn't find any external injury. Any idea what may be the problem?

MrsBachbach

Songster
6 Years
Mar 6, 2013
Arkansas
I found one of our almost 3 week old chicks lethargic and with eyes closed yesterday morning. None of the other chicks in the brooder show any signs of trouble. We separated and after a day it has improved. Eyes are open and it is drinking. I don't know whether it is eating. It moves around tentatively but is shaky. It is pooping. I'm no expert in chick poop, but the poop seems normal, perhaps a but watery. I didn't find any external injury. Any idea what may be the problem?

Are the chicks on ground that has had other chicks or chickens on it? Most chicks will get coccidiosis, a protozoan parasite and they do need to be treated for this or they will die. It can hit quickly and kill quickly. Lethargy is a symptom. I would get some Corid and treat all of them for this. May have to treat again as they grow older. Make sure the chicks can keep warm and make sure they are not too overcrowded and that there are enough feeders for all of them. It could be the chick just isn't eating enough or was chilled, but at the age they are, I would tread with Corid anyway. It won't hurt them.

bcostley

In the Brooder
Apr 4, 2015
Northwest Oregon
All the chicks are in a bin that hasn't been used with any chicks or chickens before, but is in a coop with other chickens. The chicks are on non-medicated feed now but were started on medicated.

MrsBachbach

Songster
6 Years
Mar 6, 2013
Arkansas
All the chicks are in a bin that hasn't been used with any chicks or chickens before, but is in a coop with other chickens. The chicks are on non-medicated feed now but were started on medicated. 

Are they on the ground? If so, I would still treat with Corid. Medicated feed just isn't enough once they get a bad case of it.

bcostley

In the Brooder
Apr 4, 2015
Northwest Oregon
They never been on the ground outside. They been loose inside the coop a couple of times. The coop is off the ground, shavings on wood floor.

MrsBachbach

Songster
6 Years
Mar 6, 2013
Arkansas
They never been on the ground outside. They been loose inside the coop a couple of times. The coop is off the ground, shavings on wood floor.

That is on the ground then. Cocci is in chicken poop and the ground. If they had exposure to your other birds poop, then it is possible they can get coccidiosis. Chickens need time and small amounts of exposure to build resistence to it, but it takes time. Sometimes the chicks are just overwhelmed with the parasite and will die from it. That's why it is at times necessary to treat for the parasite to give the chick more time to build resistance.

bcostley

In the Brooder
Apr 4, 2015
Northwest Oregon
As an update, thick chick is back to normal. We didn't use Corid, since the only Corid we found was a huge $100 bottle. We put it back on medicated feed and in a couple of days back to normal and has been back with the other chicks for a few days.

Top Bottom