Lethargic chicken after a wash and dry yesterday

OK she is better today and walking around but what I have found is mites all through the grass around my young girls. What does everyone do to combat this please I have been sprinkling pestene everywhere but we are having alot of rain so isn't overly productive. I also have bees so I need to be careful what I put down. Is there a flea and tick kind of dab product like for dogs you can put on chickens to make sure they are protected for longer than the dust stuff??? Help!!!

Hi everyone need some help please!
I washed my chickens yesterday and out of 6 one isn't doing well. She is lethargic and not eating or drinking what do I do?
Washing a chicken????? Lol
Are you joking?? Are you trying to kill it?
call your local farm center or local bird rescue for advice. If you can’t properly care for them consider giving them away, selling them or adopting them out.
All your birds need to be dusted for mites including their living space. Chicken lice is serious but easy to take care of with lots of dusting.

call your local farm center or local bird rescue for advice. If you can’t properly care for them consider giving them away, selling them or adopting them out.
All your birds need to be dusted for mites including their living space. Chicken lice is serious but easy to take care of with lots of dusting.
Wow that was helpful! Thanks heaps they have been dusted if you read all the comments - the other 5 chickens are fine. But hey can't please everyone.

I think you are out of line with your comments, but I do notice that you have a lifetime of experience raising a variety of birds, so it would be great if you could educate/offer suggestions/solutions to the OP how to go about caring for their birds.

What products do you recommend that they use that are available to keepers that live in the UK and are on a limited budget and that may need assistance from a parent or family member?

Washing a chicken is not unheard of, pple do it for shows all the time. I've done it myself to get a chicken looking sharp for an auction, Washing a chicken doesn't kill it... ;):D

OK she is better today and walking around but what I have found is mites all through the grass around my young girls. What does everyone do to combat this please I have been sprinkling pestene everywhere but we are having alot of rain so isn't overly productive. I also have bees so I need to be careful what I put down. Is there a flea and tick kind of dab product like for dogs you can put on chickens to make sure they are protected for longer than the dust stuff??? Help!!!
Can you get some photos of the mites you are seeing on the grass?
I'm not sure what those would be. Poultry Mites generally live in the housing and come out to feed at night.

If you wish, please share some photos of where you keep your hens too - we may be able to offer some suggestions.
I see that you used Pestene which should be fairly effective when applied weekly. But it would be a good idea to clear out all the bedding before treating housing. I know that's a large task, but do the best you can. Put down minimal bedding during the treatment period so you don't have to get rid of a lot.
What are you doing with the used bedding? Keep in mind, if you are taking out bedding and adding it to your garden or compost, you really aren't getting rid of the mites. It's best to either burn the bedding or place it in the trash.

I think you are out of line with your comments, but I do notice that you have a lifetime of experience raising a variety of birds, so it would be great if you could educate/offer suggestions/solutions to the OP how to go about caring for their birds.

What products do you recommend that they use that are available to keepers that live in the UK and are on a limited budget and that may need assistance from a parent or family member?
I don’t know anything about the way birds are regulated in the UK. They have different approaches to many things, like I know it is illegal to feed chickens anything but chicken feed in some countries.
I just feel sorry for the birds. As responsible pet owners, it’s up to people to logically try and learn how to do this before purchasing birds.
chickens are farm animals traditionally. Most people today don’t know anything about agriculture or farm animals. Its only logical that they should try and learn how to care for them basically before buying 50 like I noticed some people do on here. Crazy. The birds just suffer. Buy 2 or 4.

I don’t know anything about the way birds are regulated in the UK. They have different approaches to many things, like I know it is illegal to feed chickens anything but chicken feed in some countries.
I just feel sorry for the birds. As responsible pet owners, it’s up to people to logically try and learn how to do this before purchasing birds.
chickens are farm animals traditionally. Most people today don’t know anything about agriculture or farm animals. Its only logical that they should try and learn how to care for them basically before buying 50 like I noticed some people do on here. Crazy. The birds just suffer. Buy 2 or 4.
What's your problem? She's clearly taking care of her chickens. Freaking mansplainer...

Back
Top Bottom