Lethargic chicken doesn't eat

Hussein

Hatching
Jul 25, 2021
So I has been raising my chicken for 3 years and it was all okay until I found my chicken lying on the ground sideways and her eyes are closed I quickly came to check her she was alive but seemed like she's really sick all of the sudden that she can't even eat by herself or either move but when I try to touch her or shake her she opens her eyes normally and tries to move a little. I started feeding her by myself I gave her garlic and yogurt because I heard those can help the chicken a little, the next day I did the same and she was alright but still not moving or eating by herself and will only open her eyes if you touch her I checked if she has some serious diseases but I couldn't find any symptoms that lead to something either than lethargy and pale combs. Her droppings were normal and didn't find any blood on it so I'm not sure if she's sick or not right now and what to do without a vet

If you can, post up some photos of the bird, and provide some particulars like the following:

How old is she? 3 years
What does her diet consist of?
When was the last time you saw her eat/drink on her own?
Have you checked her crop (full at dusk, empty by morning)?
Does she free-range?
Do you have other birds; how many; are they showing any symptoms?
Tell us about your chicken run and coop.
Have you recently sprayed an herbicide or insecticides that she could reach?
Have you wormed her or treated her for any infections ever/recently?

Lots of details help the experts here sort through possible causes and possible cures. I hope she gets better!

If you can, post up some photos of the bird, and provide some particulars like the following:

How old is she? 3 years
What does her diet consist of?
When was the last time you saw her eat/drink on her own?
Have you checked her crop (full at dusk, empty by morning)?
Does she free-range?
Do you have other birds; how many; are they showing any symptoms?
Tell us about your chicken run and coop.
Have you recently sprayed an herbicide or insecticides that she could reach?
Have you wormed her or treated her for any infections ever/recently?

Lots of details help the experts here sort through possible causes and possible cures. I hope she gets better!
She's 3 years old and her diet consist of rice and some vegetables or fruits she likes them the last time I have seen her eating was before she got sick she always run for food when she sees she's a graceful chicken for her age, I don't give a lot of attention to her crop but she mostly eats her whole food when I feed her and she's the only chicken I have and she never had anything bad expect now

Can you get her some regular chicken feed? The rice and vegetables/fruit alone is not going to give her enough protein. She also needs access to grit (usually crushed granite) and a source of calcium, usually ground up oyster shell is provided. 3 years old is not too old to lay, unless she has a reproductive issue of some kind. Those are not uncommon. You will need to see if her crop is functioning normally, it should be empty first thing in the morning before access to food or water. Feel her abdomen to see if it feels bloated, either water balloon like or very hard. Since she has not really been on a correct diet, some vitamin supplements may help. You can use poultry specific ones, or you can use human ones.

Can you get her some regular chicken feed? The rice and vegetables/fruit alone is not going to give her enough protein. She also needs access to grit (usually crushed granite) and a source of calcium, usually ground up oyster shell is provided. 3 years old is not too old to lay, unless she has a reproductive issue of some kind. Those are not uncommon. You will need to see if her crop is functioning normally, it should be empty first thing in the morning before access to food or water. Feel her abdomen to see if it feels bloated, either water balloon like or very hard. Since she has not really been on a correct diet, some vitamin supplements may help. You can use poultry specific ones, or you can use human ones.
So I should give her regular chicken feed to get well? I'm giving her garlic and yogurt rn

Hi there...hope she will rebound. Her diet seems low in protein. I would also recommend some chicken food or even cat food....a bag of layer pellet is a lot for one hen but chick or show chicken feed is usually a smaller size if that is an issue. They also have electrolytes for chicks you can put in water if a feed store is nearby.. A pale comb could also be a heart issue. While 3 is young for some breeds, there are some breeds like sex links that just don't live that long. I'm sure you have given her a good life and far better than any factory hen. It's all a learning opportunity. I would also carefully go over her for bugs, lumps , squishy abdomen, etc if you have not already. Best of look for you and your poor girl.

+1 on the comments above. Look her over for sure, and check for external parasites. You didn't mention worming or medications, but I sense that's not the issue. Instead, I don't think she's getting the right thing to eat either. She's definitely not getting enough protein, and even the garlic and yogurt are not going to help her much without the protein.

A bag of layer feed for just one hen would be excessive, unless you know others that keep chickens and could buy a little from them, maybe 5lbs a month. Or, you could make your own feed. Below is a decent article about how to make chicken feed that's nutritionally balanced for your girl.

For now, to get her feeling better, some vitamin and electrolyte water with a little sugar mixed in will give her some energy. If you have some eggs, fry some egg yolks and see if she'll eat them - most chickens LOVE to eat chicken eggs, and they are high in protein. Any other food high in protein (oats, black sunflower seeds, mealworms, crickets, other bugs) will be good too.

https://gardenandhappy.com/homemade-chicken-feed/

+1 on the comments above. Look her over for sure, and check for external parasites. You didn't mention worming or medications, but I sense that's not the issue. Instead, I don't think she's getting the right thing to eat either. She's definitely not getting enough protein, and even the garlic and yogurt are not going to help her much without the protein.

A bag of layer feed for just one hen would be excessive, unless you know others that keep chickens and could buy a little from them, maybe 5lbs a month. Or, you could make your own feed. Below is a decent article about how to make chicken feed that's nutritionally balanced for your girl.

For now, to get her feeling better, some vitamin and electrolyte water with a little sugar mixed in will give her some energy. If you have some eggs, fry some egg yolks and see if she'll eat them - most chickens LOVE to eat chicken eggs, and they are high in protein. Any other food high in protein (oats, black sunflower seeds, mealworms, crickets, other bugs) will be good too.

https://gardenandhappy.com/homemade-chicken-feed/
Thanks, Also I think that the chicken got sick because of the hot weather we have here, is that possible?

Back
Top Bottom