Lethargic chicken who won’t eat

Kmaurice

Hatching
Oct 16, 2023
I have a 7 month old hen who has been very lethargic for the last 24 hours. About a week ago she laid a soft shelled egg and have since made sure to give her calcium. A few days later she laid another soft shell egg and hasn’t wanted to eat any calcium. She was a very consistent layer before this. She is now very lethargic and hasn’t eaten since yesterday afternoon. Her poops are infrequent and quite runny/yellowish in color. I gave her an epsom salt soak this morning in case she was egg bound but didn’t seem to work. I currently have her isolated with food and water. Any info or suggestions appreciated.

She’s free range supplemented with chicken feed. She eats mainly little bugs and whatever she pecks from the ground like grass. We recently started giving them chicken scratch with sheets and corn and the occasional strawberry when it’s still warm out. No other symptoms that I can see. I have now gotten her to eat a bit of a cooked egg but that’s it

Update, we think she has an impacted crop due to eating long grass. Any suggestions for helping her clear the impaction?

Welcome to BYC!

To make sure she really does have impacted crop, check it early in the morning and see if its still full.
How does her crop feel? Pretty hard?

It does feel pretty hard right now after we got her to eat a bit of yogurt. We massaged it and I’ll check in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom