Lethargic chicken with watery poo

Cluck456

In the Brooder
Feb 21, 2021
Hi, sorry I have looked through a lot of old posts but can’t seem to find any other posts with the same issues as my lady. This morning I noticed one of my Pekins was stood huddled, had her head pulled in and kept closing her eyes. I picked her up and felt her crop and it felt fairly full for early on in the morning. I’ve been checking on her throughout the day and she’s moving around but not really scratching about like the others and seemed quite quiet. She’s eaten some sunflower hearts when I offered them some and she’s had some chicken treat mix. When I went down to put the feed away for the night she was sat on the floor in the coop and not on the roost bars, I put her on the roost bars and she stayed up there. But I’ve brought back her inside as I was worried about her. Her crop was really hard and full and she’s had a poo on the kitchen floor that was quite watery and the white was quite stringy with only a small amount of black food waste in it (pictures attached). I’ve put Tylan in the water today as I wasn’t sure if she had a viral or bacteria infection and I’ve also syringed a small amount of olive oil into her beak and massaged her crop as I thought it may be impacted crop. Any ideas or thoughts and pointers/help greatly appreciated. Thank you
648ED368-9F3B-4689-8EFA-4F087D58B32A.jpeg

Attachments

• 3D709E9C-5990-44D8-BBC6-65B7B4C3394C.jpeg
    3D709E9C-5990-44D8-BBC6-65B7B4C3394C.jpeg
    442.2 KB · Views: 4
How old is your hen? Does she lay eggs normally? Can you tell if the urates are actually white if you separate them from the yellowish poo? There looks to be a bit of red or orange in the poo with all of the mucus. I would be tempted to treat her for possible coccidiosis with Corid and think about worming her with Valbazen or SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer. Is she drinking water? You can try to get her drinking water, and massage her crop several times a day. Recheck it in early morning before she eats or drinks. A little chilled coconut oil cut into small pieces (about a tsp daily) can be offered. If she is not laying anymore, she could also have a reproductive disorder.

How old is your hen? Does she lay eggs normally? Can you tell if the urates are actually white if you separate them from the yellowish poo? There looks to be a bit of red or orange in the poo with all of the mucus. I would be tempted to treat her for possible coccidiosis with Corid and think about worming her with Valbazen or SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer. Is she drinking water? You can try to get her drinking water, and massage her crop several times a day. Recheck it in early morning before she eats or drinks. A little chilled coconut oil cut into small pieces (about a tsp daily) can be offered. If she is not laying anymore, she could also have a reproductive disorder.
Thank you so much for replying so quick. She is just under a year old. And as far as I know I think she’s laying normally, I’ve got 6 Pekins and get 3/4 eggs one day normally 2 the next day. I think there looks to be some white urate in there but looks quite a bit of stringy yellowish mucus and a couple of red/orange dots. They were all last wormed start of December. I am in the UK so presume Tylan in the water is the same as Corid? I haven’t seen her drink today but saying that I’ve only seen one of my 6 drink as I’ve been working today. Is it worth me syringing some water in her? Her comb is looking a little droopy towards the back so I wondered if she was a little dehydrated? I have got her inside for the night and will keep her without food or water and check her crop in the morning. And will offer her some chilled coconut oil in the morning, thank you for suggesting that. I really appreciate your help and advice

Back
Top Bottom