lethargic chicken

The poop indicates she's not eating. While chickens can go a while without food, they can quickly lose strength, then they lack the will to eat. Also, not eating may also risk dehydration. Tube feeding can intervene and keep a chicken from the tipping point into starvation and the downhill slide that often portends.

The easiest thing would be to ask your vet for a tube feeding kit (catheter and feeding syringe for a small animal). My vet only charged me $3 for the one I have. Or you can make your own with aquarium or oxygen tubing, and then try to find a large syringe to fit it. I mix up some yogurt, raw egg, a little baby cereal in warm water with Poultry Nutri-drench. I feed up to a half a cup twice a day. One day of tube feeding usually recharges the hen and she will then eat on her own. Hydrating a hen in this method also helps her to clear the obstruction.
thanks for this info. I saw her eating some watermelon and pecking at the wet mash I gave her. the fecal sample is in so I should have at least some more info tomorrow.

The poop indicates she's not eating. While chickens can go a while without food, they can quickly lose strength, then they lack the will to eat. Also, not eating may also risk dehydration. Tube feeding can intervene and keep a chicken from the tipping point into starvation and the downhill slide that often portends.

The easiest thing would be to ask your vet for a tube feeding kit (catheter and feeding syringe for a small animal). My vet only charged me $3 for the one I have. Or you can make your own with aquarium or oxygen tubing, and then try to find a large syringe to fit it. I mix up some yogurt, raw egg, a little baby cereal in warm water with Poultry Nutri-drench. I feed up to a half a cup twice a day. One day of tube feeding usually recharges the hen and she will then eat on her own. Hydrating a hen in this method also helps her to clear the obstruction.
fecal was negative no parasites no eggs. it’s 4pm, I just got home after a few hours out. her crop feels empty and her comb is starting to look pale. I saw her eat this morning, but obviously she’s not eating enough and something is still ailing her.

Did you ask the vet for a tube feeding kit? It may be time to get a little nourishment into her to see if she's merely starving or if she's starving due to another issue. We won't know until after you tube feed and see if it improves the lethargy.

This is a process of elimination since her symptoms can be from simply bullied away from the feeder until she's weak from starvation or if she's not eating because of an infection.

Whatever food you get into her, add some sugar. This will elevate her glucose if it's low from starvation, and the improvement would then be very obvious.

Did you ask the vet for a tube feeding kit? It may be time to get a little nourishment into her to see if she's merely starving or if she's starving due to another issue. We won't know until after you tube feed and see if it improves the lethargy.

This is a process of elimination since her symptoms can be from simply bullied away from the feeder until she's weak from starvation or if she's not eating because of an infection.

Whatever food you get into her, add some sugar. This will elevate her glucose if it's low from starvation, and the improvement would then be very obvious.
I have been following your story and I would like to know if the chicken feels okay now

Back
Top Bottom