Lethargic, closed eyes ~9 month EE hen--was fine this morning?

tasnim2005

Chirping
Sep 9, 2020
One of our 9 month old EE hens(her name is Ducky) suddenly became incredibly lethargic. She isolated herself from the flock and wasn't drinking. Just this morning she laid her egg and sang her egg song and seemed perfectly fine, but a few hours later she started exhibiting these symptoms. We've brought her inside the house and syringe fed her some electrolyte water and some egg. It hasn't seemed to do much, as she's still lying down on the floor with her eyes closed, occasionally opening her eyes and looking around. Her poop doesn't look ideal, it's mushy with some white. Any ideas on what she could get so suddenly? I'm thinking maybe she ate something that disagreed with her?--we're constructing a new coop for them so materials and stuff are lying around. All responses are appreciated!!!

Attachments

• 20210405_115219.jpg
    20210405_115219.jpg
    283.7 KB · Views: 18
  • Resized_20210405_111741.jpeg
    Resized_20210405_111741.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 16
  • 20210405_114918.jpg
    20210405_114918.jpg
    357.9 KB · Views: 16
We've brought her inside the house and syringe fed her some electrolyte water and some egg. It hasn't seemed to do much, as she's still lying down on the floor with her eyes closed, occasionally opening her eyes and looking around. Her poop doesn't look ideal, it's mushy with some white. Any ideas on what she could get so suddenly? I'm thinking maybe she ate something that disagreed with her?
Sorry she is unwell, welcome to BYC! :hugs

How does her crop feel? See if this link helps at all.. :fl

https://the-chicken-chick.com › ... › Chicken Care

Ar least her egg laid today eliminates concern for egg binding being the current issue.

There are flushes.. for poison.. and hardware disease CAN become an issue at anytime.. despite, usually being luckier than that.. But determining the cause is usually a good idea first.

Other knowledgeable and experienced posters have been tagged already.. I know my internet usage is sporadic this time of year.. Maybe @Wyorp Rock will have something to offer.. TIA

Sorry she is unwell, welcome to BYC! :hugs

How does her crop feel? See if this link helps at all.. :fl

https://the-chicken-chick.com › ... › Chicken Care

Ar least her egg laid today eliminates concern for egg binding being the current issue.

There are flushes.. for poison.. and hardware disease CAN become an issue at anytime.. despite, usually being luckier than that.. But determining the cause is usually a good idea first.

Other knowledgeable and experienced posters have been tagged already.. I know my internet usage is sporadic this time of year.. Maybe @Wyorp Rock will have something to offer.. TIA
Thank you for your response!! We felt her crop and it felt pretty normal. Good news is that she seems fine now? After an hour or two of these behaviors she seemed to perk up, started eating and drinking again, and became more active in general(moving around, observing environment, pecking at things). We've been observing her since and she looks fine? We're gonna keep an eye on her of course but that's good I guess haha. Thanks again!!

Back
Top Bottom