lethargic Cockerel not eating or drinking

George Mitchell

In the Brooder
Aug 10, 2016
I have a bantam cockerel we bought 2 years ago from a farm ( don't know what age he was ) for about a week now he has been sick. he is lethargic, pale faced, hunched over, diarrhea and has recently stopped eating and drinking ! i have given him a physical exam and i have found no signs of mites. what do i do to make him eat and drink again ?

Last edited:
I have a bantam cockerel we bought 2 years ago from a farm ( don't know what age he was ) for about a week now he has been sick. he is lethargic, pale faced, hunched over, diarrhea and has recently stopped eating and drinking ! i have given him a physical exam and i have found no signs of mites. what do i do to make him eat and drink again ?

i have a leghorn hen pretty much doing the same thing.. does yours have a poopy butt ? mine does .. hopefuly some one can answer this

sorry for your hen.
my cockerel has diarrhea and has a poopy butt, flies are now drawn to him because of it. have you ever had something like this before ? this is the first time i have had a sick chicken, and i'm worried about what could happen. hopefully some can explain this so we can both get healthy chickens again.

Last edited:
sorry for your hen.
my cockerel has diarrhea and has a poopy butt, flies are now drawn to him because of it. have you ever had something like this before ? this is the first time i have had a sick chicken, and i'm worried about what could happen. hopefully some can explain this so we can both get healthy chickens again.
i did have one other chicken that did this and she died ..this one is eating so im going to give her the save a chick electrolytes and probiotic to see if this will help cant hurt is you chicken sneezing or making a coughing sound? im going to call my vet on monday to see if she will give me an antibiotic for her

my chicken isn't coughing or sneezing. he did drink and eat a bit today, but not as much as he usually does. i don't have any vets that deal with chickens in my area.

my chicken isn't coughing or sneezing. he did drink and eat a bit today, but not as much as he usually does. i don't have any vets that deal with chickens in my area.
for now try the electrolytes and and probiotics called save a chick give that to him in place of water if hes not drinking much give him a little with a syringe a little at a time or you can drown them also

you might try poultry cell it is a vitamin for chickens i found some at a tractor supply store your local feed store may carry it. i am just shooting in the dark but it is worth a try im going to try it on my hen

also i am going to clean her up , i read if up put a towel over their head and lay them down they are quite im going to do this to clean her up to see if that may help also.. the way i look at it is i will try

just about anything to help!

thanks ! i've been feeding him yogurt and other things to help him, but i'll try the vitamin and other things as well. putting a towel over their calm them down, but my cockerel is so lethargic i can just pick him up.

thanks ! i've been feeding him yogurt and other things to help him, but i'll try the vitamin and other things as well. putting a towel over their calm them down, but my cockerel is so lethargic i can just pick him up.
i found this stuff called CORID the people at the feed store said it is for poopy but with your cockerel having the poops this should clear it up you put it in their drinking water it comes in a mediun size bag it ran me $20 but i dont know what it would run where you are at i found this at tractor supply also found the poultry cell ,so going to give the cordid to all the chickens and try the vitimims on my crook neck baby to see if that will straighten him out its good that you can pick him up getting the stuff off him will help with the flys ..keep us updated

i thought corid was for coccidiosis ? i live in the UK and we have a equivalent called Coxoid. i think my cockerel is getting slightly better, he was eating and drinking more today and he was eating any of the flies that annoyed him. he is still not himself but at least hes eating

i thought corid was for coccidiosis ? i live in the UK and we have a equivalent called Coxoid. i think my cockerel is getting slightly better, he was eating and drinking more today and he was eating any of the flies that annoyed him. he is still not himself but at least hes eating
that is good to hear not sure what mine has so i figured it couldnt hurt since i had in die that was acting the same way, she said it cleans up the poop when they get stuck ..so glad to hear yours is getting better maybe if it has been hot there he has gotten to hot? keep up the good work

Back
Top Bottom