Lethargic, droopy head 3 month old pullet- can’t figure out what is wrong!! Help!

@Eggcessive @casportpony

Sorry to be gone for so long and tag you - this is my friend. She's thinking of trying a wormer since she can't get her hen into a vet and she has no other symptoms than lethargy and a bit of a poopy butt once.

What wormer would be safe to start with for a young pullet if she has a heavy worm load? And how much?

Thank you!!

I think I would also start her back on Corid. Treatment is not just 5 days, it should be given for 3-5 days, the given another 7-14 days at a reduced dose.

Treating Coccidiosis with Corid, Amprol, AmproMed - The Correct Amprolium Dose
Treatment20% Powder9.6% Liquid
For 3-5 days1.5 teaspoons per gallon2 teaspoons per gallon
then for 7-14 days1/3 teaspoon per gallon1/2 teaspoon per gallon

Corid Amprolium Oral Drench Instructions
Is she's not driving enough water, which she probably isn't, give the medicated water and an oral drench
9.6% liquid - Do not dilute
  • Give 0.1 ml per pound of body weight orally once or twice a day for 1-3 days.
or
  • 0.02 ml per 100 grams of body weight orally once or twice a day for 1-3 days.

20% powder - Mix 1/2 teaspoon powder with 2 teaspoons water.
  • Give 0.34 ml per pound of body weight orally once or twice a day for 1-3 days.
or
  • 0.07 ml per 100 grams of body weight orally once or twice a day for 1-3 days.
And this is how I give oral meds:
Safely Administering Oral Medications to All Poultry and Waterfowl

I think I would also start her back on Corid. Treatment is not just 5 days, it should be given for 3-5 days, the given another 7-14 days at a reduced dose.

Treating Coccidiosis with Corid, Amprol, AmproMed - The Correct Amprolium Dose
Treatment20% Powder9.6% Liquid
For 3-5 days1.5 teaspoons per gallon2 teaspoons per gallon
then for 7-14 days1/3 teaspoon per gallon1/2 teaspoon per gallon

Corid Amprolium Oral Drench Instructions
Is she's not driving enough water, which she probably isn't, give the medicated water and an oral drench
9.6% liquid - Do not dilute
  • Give 0.1 ml per pound of body weight orally once or twice a day for 1-3 days.
or
  • 0.02 ml per 100 grams of body weight orally once or twice a day for 1-3 days.

20% powder - Mix 1/2 teaspoon powder with 2 teaspoons water.
  • Give 0.34 ml per pound of body weight orally once or twice a day for 1-3 days.
or
  • 0.07 ml per 100 grams of body weight orally once or twice a day for 1-3 days.
And this is how I give oral meds:
Safely Administering Oral Medications to All Poultry and Waterfowl
This is what I started doing today. I have her a dose directly in her mouth and her water is medicated. I have a food scale!

Back
Top Bottom