Lethargic, droopy wings and staying still hen.

It's normal for them to preen, but it's never a bad idea to check for lice/mites.

If the abdomen feels like fluid, sometimes it can be drained. Do some research on that to see if you think she may benefit from that.

I have checked them for lice/mites and did not find anything. But it still bothers me how dirty they all look. But it may be because of the roo.

Thank you, I will update on her condition.

Is she starting to molt as well? Have you seen feathers lying around in the coop, or is the feather loss just from the rooster? Most respiratory diseases in flocks are lifelong and affect the others. Respiratory diseases can also be a cause of reproductive infections and internal laying/egg yolk peritonitis. You can try to see if there is yellow ascites fluid inside her abdomen by inserting a sterile 18 gauge needle just inside the skin, but be sure to disinfect the skin. In post 42 of the thread below, there are good pictures of draining a hen:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/laying-hens-with-water-belly-or-ascites.68731/page-5

Is she starting to molt as well? Have you seen feathers lying around in the coop, or is the feather loss just from the rooster? Most respiratory diseases in flocks are lifelong and affect the others. Respiratory diseases can also be a cause of reproductive infections and internal laying/egg yolk peritonitis. You can try to see if there is yellow ascites fluid inside her abdomen by inserting a sterile 18 gauge needle just inside the skin, but be sure to disinfect the skin. In post 42 of the thread below, there are good pictures of draining a hen:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/laying-hens-with-water-belly-or-ascites.68731/page-5
I do think that she is molting. There were many feathers in the coop but now the quantity is comparatively less. She is now growing feather above her tail.

We will drain her today and see if her condition gets better the next day. If not then we will put an end to her.

While giving her an antibiotic, I noticed that her there was bubbly, thick salive there. Can that be an indication of tumor/cancer?

We inserted the syringe and yellow liquid did come out. But it was very thick and viscous. Only a few ml came out.

It's really hard for her and us to see her suffer like that so we have decided to put her down.

Back
Top Bottom