1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lethargic Duck Keeps Sleeping and is Unresponsive

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by pekinlover, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I apologize for not using the quote to clarify. I am not firing on all cylinders, perhaps.

Anyway - for the ducklings with the hot bills - I am thinking antibiotics, as well as a little charcoal one time to see if that can pick up toxins out of their digestive tract (my line of thinking - charcoal may be more easily available, and one of the ways infections make us sick is they produce toxins). This is not a substitute for antibiotics.

Something else that may be on hand until you get antibiotics is oregano. Make a tea - a teaspoon of dried oregano, or several fresh leaves - pour that into a pint of cold water, and give that to drink - there are articles in agriculture publications that refer to large poultry farms using oregano to reduce the need for antibiotics.

2. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    Oh, okay. Gotcha. I'm glad you are only having a few that seem to have problems. Are all their feet doing well? In the conditions that they were in I think Amiga is right with antibiotics.

3. needlessjunk

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    I get confused easily so no worries! I also tend to miss things when reading, lol.

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Just wanted to insert here that I am so grateful for the people of the Duck Forum for the many blessings you all offer. [​IMG]

5. needlessjunk

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    Me too! You are very knowledgeable and helpful and so glad that @Amiga along with many other people are part of this community.

6. Debs Flock

Debs Flock Birds on the brain Premium Member

Apr 28, 2015
    Jefferson County, MO
    [​IMG] [​IMG] I couldn't agree more!!

7. DuckyGaze

DuckyGaze Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2015
    There is no other place I would rather go.
    Just got back and did forget to log off, but the ducklings seem to be doing a bit better. Their bills are not as hot as yesterday and they are grooming so I would say that they are better.
    I let her know about the apple cider vinegar and the charcoal and if they worsen tomorrow we will get some antibiotics in them.

And all the feets of the ducklings are wonderful! [​IMG] No more burns to cause them so much pain.

8. pekinlover

pekinlover Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2013
    I will probably take him to the vet on Monday to get some antibiotics. We have a wonderful duck vet here, fortunately.

9. City farm

City farm Overrun With Chickens

Jul 6, 2012
    Mesa, Arizona U.S.A.

:highfive:
    & hi debs flocks, I think I took out your name by accident ?? Using muti button :yiipchick

:goodpost:       :thumbsup       I couldn't agree more!!
    [/quote]

Hallelujah !! Thanks for the update.. :frow

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Hope it is nothing serious. Keep us updated please.
    Something else good to have on hand is Veterycin spray for wounds and infections it is safe to use around the face and in the eyes. along with ACV

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by