Lethargic Duck Overnight, Possibly Egg Bound or Poisoning?

Pics

graypes

Songster
Jun 19, 2020
Hi all, I feel like I only ever post when somethings wrong!

My 1 year old female duck, Josh, is usually ravenous and eager to forage. Today, she is constantly sleeping standing up and hasn't moved around much, though she did put up a slight chase when I was trying to corral her inside today. I think I can feel an egg inside and I know she definitely did not lay last night. I've been trying to get her to molt, so she went broody a few days ago, started molting and was sitting on her eggs, I took the old eggs away and now suddenly this happens. I know they stop laying when they molt, but I am just worried that maybe I messed up when trying to get her to go broody and now an egg is stuck inside. Today is the first day she is REALLY lethargic, however stays standing. she half-heartedly pokes at her food and at the grass :(

my other concern is mushrooms. There are several in the yard and I try to stop them when they nibble on them but they tend to get to them first. Could this be toxicity? I'm wary of giving her a flush (I only have milk thistle right now) only because I don't want to dehydrate her...

ANY TIPS?

I don't know much about ducks I've only had 2 but when one of my hens went egg bound I put her in a warm bath for about 5 min and dried her off and kept her in the bathroom, without lights and had the hot water running in the shower to make it moist and warm In the room

I don't know much about duck I've only had 2 but when one of my hens went eggs bound I put her in a warm bath and kept her in the bathroom, without lights and had the hot water running in the shower to make it moist and warm I the room
I'll try that out! I did a mini epsom salt bath today but I'll try knocking the lights out that's a good idea! Did you massage or anything?

So after about 2 hours in a tub she's still stuck. I put her back in her little indoor crate and in a dark room with her mate (separation anxiety). I wish I could do longer but II want her to at least have a good few hours to sleep. She is falling asleep in my hand which, while cute, is unusual (she's a fighter, not a lover lol) so I'm a bit worried. While in her tub she barely pooped. Looks like just one ultra stringy watery poo :( She's already been dewormed so I don't think its parasites. Perhaps she's egg bound and that's an intestinal obstruction??

Anybody have any ideas for how to clear that? the egg feels pretty far up there (I think). Should I give her some olive oil?

For egg bound ducks you want to give them calcium gluconateand that is your best option. You can get it at TSC. If she is egg bound, the warm bath can help, but I would give her more time in a warm bath. I would let her sit in the water as long as she is up to it, since I am guessing you won't be able get anything till tomorrow.

Here is a link on the dosage.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/calcium-gluconate-for-egg-bound-ducks-preliminary.959537/

@Isaac 0 @Miss Lydia @casportpony all know a lot more about egg bound ducks. If it is something other than being egg bound, they will be able to help as well.

@Miss Lydia @Quatie She's in the tub right now, and has been for two and a half hours, but I'll let her stay there as long as she can today! Thanks for the advice!! I'll run out to get the calcium gluconate right now! Is it oral? I am currently living alone, so I don't have anyone to help me restrain for oral doses, does anyone have tips for administering oral meds solo?

Here is a link on how to administer oral meds. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

You want to make sure you get it in the correct hole.

When I do ducks solo, I crouch over them with their back towards me. If they are larger breeds, you can hold them a bit with your legs. I run my hand from their chest up their neck till I get to the beak and hold at the base of the beak. I tilt their head back gently. I hold with the palm of my hand and smaller 3 fingers. I use my thumb and pointer finger to open their beak. Then I am able to administer the drugs with my other hand. I would practice couple times with water using a syringe 1 handed. When I taught students injections, using a syringe 1 handed was always the hardest thing. The plunger can be way out there and you won't be use to it yet.

Some people I think swaddle their ducks in towels. This is what works for me. @Miss Lydia will likely have her own way of doing it as well.

I've done it your way to mainly with my geese since they are tall it's easier. But with my ducks and chickens, I do use a towel to wrap them in it keeps those wings under control. And makes it much easier to handle them. Then I pry the bill open with one hand and use my other to get the syringe into the proper hole before admin the meds. I also bought a feeding needle which really helps.

https://www.squirrelsandmore.com/products/12-gauge-straight-4-stainless-steel-feeding-needle

Back
Top Bottom