Lethargic Duckling, need advice please

Unfortunately this little one passed away. šŸ˜„ I set up a duckling camera with audio to check on them through the night and at 3am Tuesday morning I saw she wasn't moving and discovered her. Really emotional rollercoaster....and to make matters even worse the third duckling that was a bit less active than the others (a cute fawn and white runner) has similar symptoms of lethargy and is somewhat listless. All other ducklings and goslings are zooming around, but she either sits or stands. I dip her bill in water, electrolyte mix, I e done the nutri drench along her bill and now have her in a small, darker warmed area away from the others because they kept running her over.šŸ˜£. I contacted the Hatchery to let them know that I've lost two ducks now, with a very sick one as well. They said I was doing all I could and to update them tomorrow on her condition.

I've buried two ducklings in two days. I've never experienced something like this. Are fatalities like this common in the hatchery & shipping business?? The last two "batches" of ducklings I've ordered were fine and healthy. Do you think the later in the season shipping causes additional stress?? I thought maybe the opposite, because the weather would be warmer but who knows.

I've buried two ducklings in two days. I've never experienced something like this. Are fatalities like this common in the hatchery & shipping business?? The last two "batches" of ducklings I've ordered were fine and healthy. Do you think the later in the season shipping causes additional stress?? I thought maybe the opposite, because the weather would be warmer but who knows.
So sorry for your loss. You really seem to care for them, and itā€™s heartbreaking when they donā€™t make it. Iā€™m certain itā€™s nothing you did wrong. I hope the hatchery will repack the ducklings...they should.

So sorry for your loss. Last year I lost 2 little Runner ducklings to shipping stress. It was too heartbreaking and because it was a day later than their time limit they sent no replacements. Iā€™ll never order from a hatchery again. I hope you get better treatment.

Sorry this happened! I think if you raise ducks, loss is part of it. I lost 2 adults this year, and a wild duckling last year.. Donā€™t be hard on yourself, you did all you could. I donā€™t deal with lost ducks well either, as mine are just pets. Concentrate on the ones youā€™ve still got, they grow up so fast! :love

Sorry for your loss! Shipping stress seems to be one of the major contributors to deaths in young ducklings.
It's so upsetting. I keep wondering if maybe they had a second cup of grogel, would they have survived?? And I received the text and email notifications from USPS where they do tracking updates. Apparently they arrived at the post office around 5:30am...and I didn't receive a call until just before they opened at 9am. I wonder if this is normal? I would have gladly picked them up at 5:30am. I keep playing the hypothetical blame game on what I could have done better. I know it's not fair, bit that's what my brain is doing

So sorry for your loss. You really seem to care for them, and itā€™s heartbreaking when they donā€™t make it. Iā€™m certain itā€™s nothing you did wrong. I hope the hatchery will repack the ducklings...they should.
When I spoke to the Hatchery the last two days, they mentioned that I should wait to see if each of the sick ducklings in turn would survive. None of them did šŸ˜„. I watched my lethargic fawn and white runner duck take her last breath this morning around 4am. So disturbing to watch an animal die. Now I have three small graves and I really hope the rest are ok. Can't take anymore fatalities.

So sorry for your loss. Last year I lost 2 little Runner ducklings to shipping stress. It was too heartbreaking and because it was a day later than their time limit they sent no replacements. Iā€™ll never order from a hatchery again. I hope you get better treatment.
That's so sad...and I am surprised they didn't replace them. I know some hatcheries say you have to contact them within 48 hours, bit I have been actively watching one duckling die after another, so now I'm well over that time limit. Not sure,but I did call the hatchery and left a message so we shall see. Ideally, replacements are a food idea for me. Hoping that could be arranged.

If you don't mind me asking, if you no longer order from hatcheries, do you purchase eggs, breed your own ducks or do you shop local?

Back
Top Bottom