Lethargic duckling with neck contracted against body

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by astrickler, Oct 3, 2019.

Tags:
  1. casportpony

casportpony Enlightened

Jun 24, 2012
    Even though it seems like she is comfortable on her back, do keep her on her stomach. I say this because on her back her organs will put pressure on her heart, lungs, and kidneys. Also, any food you tube could get aspirated.

Miss Lydia likes this.
  2. astrickler

astrickler Chirping

Aug 18, 2019
    I try to keep her on her stomach and she physically can’t...even tried making a box with a rolled towel and everything in it for her so she could sit up...her body has contractions and flips her over. I’ve tried everything i can think of to keep her upright

Miss Lydia likes this.
  3. casportpony

casportpony Enlightened

Jun 24, 2012
    Can you take a video of her doing this, upload it to YouTube or Vimeo then copy and paste the link here?

Miss Lydia likes this.
  4. astrickler

astrickler Chirping

Aug 18, 2019
    I will a little later. I just got her settled down again in the box...so hopefully she relaxes and stays upright for a little while. It’s so crazy how she was perfect on Wednesday.

Miss Lydia likes this.
  5. astrickler

astrickler Chirping

Aug 18, 2019
    I’ll try to get it on video...It may be hard for me to get on video unless someone else is home...when it happens I just do everything I can to keep her from hurting herself.

Miss Lydia likes this.
  6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Mary Did You Know....

Could anything have fallen off a shelf or wall and hit her? I am so sorry it can be so heartbreaking to see them like this. :hugs

7. astrickler

astrickler Chirping

Aug 18, 2019
    No she was in her outside pen when this started. It’s a huge cage with a lid so nothing could have hit her. She was 2 other ducklings that are a week older than her.

8. FortCluck

FortCluck Free Ranging

Sep 9, 2019
    Central Virginia
    I have a duckling that's like this and also has a crooked body. Half her body goes one way and the other half goes the other way. She has a spinal defect/injury. We tried everything for her and nothing worked so now she's just our disabled duck.

Try vitamin b complex it may or may not help.

9. astrickler

astrickler Chirping

Aug 18, 2019
    I have B12...would that be good enough?

10. FortCluck

FortCluck Free Ranging

Sep 9, 2019
    Central Virginia
    They need the b complex, all the b vitamins

Miss Lydia and casportpony like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: