Lethargic duckling with neck contracted against body

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by astrickler, Oct 3, 2019.

Tags:
  1. astrickler

astrickler Chirping

Aug 18, 2019
    casportpony likes this.
  2. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Oyster shell? Definitely a no, no if not layers...

3. astrickler

astrickler Chirping

Aug 18, 2019
    Still no improvement today. She still can not sit or stand up...but she seems bright eyed, will drink water when we set her up for it...and she has quickly learned if she’s in an uncomfortable position all she had to do is holler and I come running and re-position her.

Miss Lydia likes this.
  4. astrickler

astrickler Chirping

Aug 18, 2019
    They usually get chick grit but I ran out this week...so they only had a little oyster shell for a couple days. This was only because some alfalfa pellets were added due to another one developing angel wing. They are not getting oyster shell anymore. I did look it up and realized it was to much calcium for them. I thought you meant did my ducks in general get grit. (I have 13 adults and 3 juveniles)

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
    casportpony likes this.
  5. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Actually Birds only need Grit once or twice a week because it stays in the crop till it's passed ...

6. astrickler

astrickler Chirping

Aug 18, 2019
    Good to know!

chickens really and casportpony like this.
  7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Ephesians 6:13

What meds does the vet have her on? May still be to early for improvement to show up. At least she is bright eyed! And tube feeding will help keep her strength up as she recovers. Did you watch that video? The one @casportpony gave the link to?

casportpony likes this.
  8. Miss Lydia

Wonder how long grit stays in the crop that will be interesting to look up.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/how-long-does-grit-last-in-a-crop.323044/ I keep grit out all the time for my birds they use as needed, and here is another interesting tidbit. I love to look things up, and share.

waterfowl do not possess a true "crop," or widened portion of the esophagus. Instead, their esophagus is capable of expanding to accommodate substantial amounts of food.

I believe @casportpony even has a pic of a diagram of this.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
    casportpony likes this.
  9. Miss Lydia

10. astrickler

astrickler Chirping

Aug 18, 2019
    They have her on Dex Sod: 3-4 drops by mouth every 24 hours. She was given a steroid injection yesterday. Vet said she may recover or she may not. She said regardless she has scoliosis, so it’s either a nerve being pinched because she grew so fast or she had cervical trauma. It’s just a waiting game. I was just hoping to see some sort of improvement. She seemed really good today, but now tonight (within the last couple hours) I feel like she’s going in the opposite direction. Heck I work in healthcare and I know things don’t happen overnight but she’s breaking my heart.

Miss Lydia likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: