Lethargic, fluffed up chicken with clear, runny poop. Close to death. URGENT

Pics

Rubysword

Free Ranging
7 Years
Apr 19, 2017
Colorado Springs
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
She is a silver laced wyandotte chicken. She's less than a year old, and is much lighter than her brooder mate. She feels lighter than she should be, which ic what clued me in that something was wrong.
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Lethargy, sleepiness, loss of appetite, clear, runny poop.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
For three days now.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
Not right now. I think it has something to do with the fact that she's at the bottom of the pecking order.
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No, just the fluffed up feathers.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
She's at the bottom of the pecking order, and the other chickens don't let her eat a lot. I think that the lack of food brought her immune system down.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Purina layer crumbles, mealworms, they free-range around our yard during the day.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Runny and clear, occasionally with green bits.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
1.5 t of 20% corid powder in her drinking water, and a Corid drench(.5 t of corid in 2 t of water, give her .7 cc of that) a day.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
There are no avian vets near us, so we need to treat her ourselves.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
I can get one when I get home, if she's still alive. I'm trying to give instructions to my mom over email.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
Pine shavings

I noticed three days ago she wasn't doing so hot. I thought it was just malnutrition, but as her condition rapidly declined, I suspected cocci. She's on treatment for that, but she's only getting worse. She just wanted to keep sleeping in the quarantine bin this morning, instead of clucking for the other peeps. Is that just the meds kicking in? Please help!

Her crop has been soft, not hard and full. I assumed that meant she hasn't been eating, which is also what I've observed.
If it's squishy and full you've got a sour crop. Gently squeeze her crop to determine if she has it. If she has stinky "garbage breath" then that's also an indicator.

If your hen has sour crop, give her Apple Cider Vinegar (approximately 2 tsp per day) to her. (you can put it in her waterer or try to make her drink it straight up (be careful, she may get it in her/your eyes)). I've also used 1/8 tsp. Sovereign Silver brand Colloidal Silver, and that's worked sometimes. Administer the Silver with a plastic spoon directly to the hen (she will drink it 9/10 times). Plain, unsweetened Greek Yogurt helps a small bit, but it won't eliminate an infection. Don't feed any bread to her either.

Back
Top Bottom