Lethargic, fluffed up chicken with clear, runny poop. Close to death. URGENT

Pics

Rubysword

Free Ranging
7 Years
Apr 19, 2017
Colorado Springs
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
She is a silver laced wyandotte chicken. She's less than a year old, and is much lighter than her brooder mate. She feels lighter than she should be, which ic what clued me in that something was wrong.
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Lethargy, sleepiness, loss of appetite, clear, runny poop.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
For three days now.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
Not right now. I think it has something to do with the fact that she's at the bottom of the pecking order.
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No, just the fluffed up feathers.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
She's at the bottom of the pecking order, and the other chickens don't let her eat a lot. I think that the lack of food brought her immune system down.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Purina layer crumbles, mealworms, they free-range around our yard during the day.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Runny and clear, occasionally with green bits.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
1.5 t of 20% corid powder in her drinking water, and a Corid drench(.5 t of corid in 2 t of water, give her .7 cc of that) a day.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
There are no avian vets near us, so we need to treat her ourselves.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
I can get one when I get home, if she's still alive. I'm trying to give instructions to my mom over email.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
Pine shavings

I noticed three days ago she wasn't doing so hot. I thought it was just malnutrition, but as her condition rapidly declined, I suspected cocci. She's on treatment for that, but she's only getting worse. She just wanted to keep sleeping in the quarantine bin this morning, instead of clucking for the other peeps. Is that just the meds kicking in? Please help!

My mom just sent me this:
I hope you don’t mind, but after doing some research, I decided to do a quick vent exam. I put on a latex glove and put on a water based lubricant and put my finger about an inch(was scared to go much further- up where the egg might be. I did not contact anything hard it just felt like liquid. when I pulled my finger out, yellow liquid drained/oozed out that smelled like rotten egg(sulfur). I now believe that she is internally laying. There are all types of feeds on this- but infection can result from internal laying. All of her symptoms are classic. There may be some things we can do- including draining….however- this only treats the symptoms. We don’t know the cause. It may be organ failure- like there is something wrong with her liver or heart. It is possible that its genetic. Anyway- if you want to do some reading on this- I hope it helps you out.

I just did some quick research on internal laying-it looks like the treatments available will only prolong the suffering. If it does turn out that way, what would be the best euthanazation method? I know it seems I'm quick to jump on that idea, but I promise you, I want her to live the best life that she can, and I'm near tears even thinking of that idea, but I want to make sure she doesn't have to suffer because I don't want to let go.

She's been like that ever since I came home an hour ago. She has access to food and water, but is not eating nor drinking. Should I euthanize her, or is she so close that I should just let her go in peace?
She doesn't seem to be in active distress (gasping, splayed out, struggling). As long as she is peaceful, I would let her be.

Back
Top Bottom