Lethargic, fluffed up chicken with clear, runny poop. Close to death. URGENT

My mom just sent me this:
I hope you don’t mind, but after doing some research, I decided to do a quick vent exam. I put on a latex glove and put on a water based lubricant and put my finger about an inch(was scared to go much further- up where the egg might be. I did not contact anything hard it just felt like liquid. when I pulled my finger out, yellow liquid drained/oozed out that smelled like rotten egg(sulfur). I now believe that she is internally laying. There are all types of feeds on this- but infection can result from internal laying. All of her symptoms are classic. There may be some things we can do- including draining….however- this only treats the symptoms. We don’t know the cause. It may be organ failure- like there is something wrong with her liver or heart. It is possible that its genetic. Anyway- if you want to do some reading on this- I hope it helps you out.

:(

I've also used 1/8 tsp. Sovereign Silver brand Colloidal Silver, and that's worked sometimes. Administer the Silver with a plastic spoon directly to the hen (she will drink it 9/10 times).

After treating several sour crops I believe that certain yeast strains are resistant to ACV or Silver. The first time I tried silver the ACV wasn't working for days, but the silver eliminated the sour crop within hours. Other times the ACV seems to have worked better. I have both on hand for that reason.

I just did some quick research on internal laying-it looks like the treatments available will only prolong the suffering. If it does turn out that way, what would be the best euthanazation method? I know it seems I'm quick to jump on that idea, but I promise you, I want her to live the best life that she can, and I'm near tears even thinking of that idea, but I want to make sure she doesn't have to suffer because I don't want to let go.

I've seen plenty of yellow poop. It does not mean that your hen is suffering from a reproductive problem. However, as sick as she sounds, euthanasia is a good option. The vets I have spoken with say that the most humane "at home" method is cervical dislocation.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom