Lethargic, gaping pullet

sarabeth485

Crowing
5 Years
Aug 1, 2018
Hi there. My 9 week old bantam Polish pullet is acting off tonight. She was fine at bedtime last night. Tonight I found her in the corner of the run not moving, leaning back on her tail and periodically lifting her head and “gaping”. It is hot and humid again today. She has had access to food and water all day but her crop is empty. She is keeping her eyes closed and seems not to be able to make any sounds.

The other two adults and three pullets look fine. Any thoughts? Thank you!
8C59B644-48CE-4F1A-BFBC-AA2BE8F4FC09.jpeg
078D1DAD-D18E-4E56-B7DF-5F954DD509A3.jpeg
0D004962-DEEA-41E2-9BDE-7E8C00DDABB1.jpeg

Have you checked for lice and mites? Eyes, ear canals, earlobes, inside of her beak - do they all look normal? Have you been able to give her any electrolytes at all?
Are the other chickens also Polish? She might be overheating.
@Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive had some excellent suggestions on what to look for in some posts about gapeworm vs temperature vs other respiratory issues...

I would really try to get her drinking some fluids, water, sugar water, electrolytes. She could be dehydrated or be suffering from coccidiosis. Is she able to walk well and get to food and water? Is the coop hot inside? Can she see well with the poof? Have you ever wormed your flock? I might consider worming her with SafeGuard liquid goat wormer or horse past 1/4 ml per pound orally for 5 consecutive days. If she is having runny poops, you could get Corid (amprollium) and treat for possible coccidiosis. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days.

I would really try to get her drinking some fluids, water, sugar water, electrolytes. She could be dehydrated or be suffering from coccidiosis. Is she able to walk well and get to food and water? Is the coop hot inside? Can she see well with the poof? Have you ever wormed your flock? I might consider worming her with SafeGuard liquid goat wormer or horse past 1/4 ml per pound orally for 5 consecutive days. If she is having runny poops, you could get Corid (amprollium) and treat for possible coccidiosis. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days.
Thanks for you quick responses.

I brought her inside where it is cool and made her drink some water and nutridrench. She has perked up a bit and is more feisty when I try to dip her beak in the water now.

She still isn’t standing or walking well. I set her on a roost but she doesn’t grip quite right. She has pooped a few times but it is somewhat runny.

Is it okay to do the safeguard and corid at the same time? Should I treat the whole flock even if the others are acting okay?

Before yesterday evening she seemed to be acting okay and getting food and water with everyone else so I don’t think it is the crest blocking her vision.

Thanks again for your help. This is really my first time with a sick chicken.

So I am finding different info about egg withdrawal. Does anyone have info on requirements for Safegaurd and/or Corid regarding egg withdrawal periods! Thanks!

There is no egg withdrawal with Corid (amprollium.) The withdrawal time for SafeGuard (fenbendazole) is 14 days. Is she standing or walking better?
Thank you!

Yep. She is doing great. I ended up keeping her in the house until the worst of the heat was over and did both meds on all six chickens. She moved back outside after several days and seems back to normal. :fl

Back
Top Bottom